• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

The whole thing was phenomenal. I hooked it up to a rotisserie and kept the grill at 275F. About 30 minutes before the pig was ready I cranked the temp up to 550-600F just to get the skin blistered and extremely crispy, before this point the skin was fairly rubbery.

The skin was shatteringly crisp, a great contrast to the succulent meat. Skin on suckling pigs is much thinner than full grown pigs, so as it crisps up there is no worry of it being too thick to eat comfortably which can be a problem on full grown pigs, especially some heritage breeds.

There was some left over skin. I suggested my parents used it instead of bacon for their burger night. I wish I was there for that meal too.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

steak and mushrooms.jpg

Sirloin steak and portobello cap.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I finished my new dessert..but I need to refine the plating!!

Lavender and Hennessy!!

Home-Made Lavender Ice Cream--Macerated (Hennessy )Rainer cherries- Mint/Hennessy/ Serrano pepper jelly

Cheers!!

Its hot and the Ice Cream is melting fast!!

All Made in the HOUSE..

7624685078_fefe7b4dfc_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

7588664790_59c0e3648d_z.jpg

Oven-roasted mussels and heirloom tomatoes, with poached farm egg and sucrine lettuce

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing a Picasso here!

Edited by lochaven (log)

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

EXCELLENT food all around!

You're not. SobaAddict's presentation and photography skills are as always top-notch. Yummy lookin!

Oven-roasted mussels and heirloom tomatoes, with poached farm egg and sucrine lettuce

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing a Picasso here!

I agree, very impressive creations, unbelievable diversity, artistic and skillful!

-----------------------------------------

Sous vide rack of lamb

dcarch

a5bf1519.jpg

2640450a.jpg

7623947088_a6f2c8ca71_z.jpg

7623946504_2f32db393d_z.jpg

These photos were taken after about 4 hours roasting time -- it explains why the tomatoes in the pic below are more "shrunken" then the ones above.

7625328084_7b99f97dfd_z.jpg

insalata Caprese -- slow-roasted Jersey tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

This is not a traditional version, but rather my own interpretation.

For the slow-roasted tomatoes: Slice tomatoes, then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper; then roast for 6 to 8 hours at 200 F. Use immediately; keeps for up to 3 days (if you can resist eating them), covered, in the refrigerator.

7625996772_0ef7d1d37f_z.jpg

Thin spaghetti, with Swiss chard, prosciutto cotto and heirloom tomatoes

You can make this in 30 minutes.

Start with a base of onions cooked in olive oil, add Swiss chard and let that cook down till silken, along with some sea salt and black pepper. Prep the pasta; drain. Add the pasta to the pot containing the Swiss chard mixture. Chop some tomatoes, add that to the pot, along with a little julienned prosciutto. If you want the vegetarian version, omit the prosciutto. Let the tomatoes break down a little bit. Taste for salt and pepper, then spoon into warmed pasta bowls. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve at once.

thanks folks, for the kind words.

ditto what Scotty said. :wink:

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Unusually healthy dinner from me..."Shrimp Toast" with everything fresh and local except the shrimp.....

shrimp toasat.JPG

The inspiration was actually what I added to the shrimp before putting them in the sous vide....I recently began making a clear gazpacho recipe from the Bluestem Cookbook, and after drinking the first 1 1/2 quarts I wondered how it would do for sous vide and if it would be good reduced and drizzled on top of the dish. Successes all around.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Tonight, I'm finishing off the spaghetti dish from last night, but this was tonight's appetizer:

7634869396_fdc6de5359_z.jpg

Prosciutto crudo, roasted apricots, mozzarella cheese

The apricots were roasted with extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and cracked peppercorns, then combined with basil and diced mozzarella cheese. In the future, I'd probably add a little honey and cardamom to cut the tartness (and omit the oil and basil, and sub in mint instead).

You can make this in 20 minutes.

photo (23).JPG

Butternut squash with tahini yogurt sauce and limes, from Plenty by Ottolenghi

Looks beautiful. I've had my eye on this recipe meaning to make it for ages.

Thanks! It was really tasty, but I realized afterwards that I made it with a squash that looked very much like butternut, but wasn't. Texturally, off a bit. It would have been fantastic with actual butternut.