• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Was zucchini raw when applied to fish? Did you steam turbot?

Everything you post looks like art and insanely delicious to boot. I am jealous of whoever gets to taste your creations. Do you cook like this at home?

The zucchini is blanched for maybe 15-20 seconds, refreshed, then applied to the fish. The turbot was vacuum sealed and cooked sous vide.

Thank you for the kind words. I do cook like this at home. Home is where I do all of my cooking.

Celebratory mood this weekend so we grilled a couple of lobsters.

The female had the most beautiful light pink flesh. I was tempted to eat it raw.

Here there are before and after the grill. A little bit of butter and a squeeze of lemon, very simple.

7483681524_d653b1d8c4_z.jpg

7484127148_758bcb3a5c_z.jpg

We grilled a couple of zucchini with Za'atar as an accompaniment.

Indian takeout from Chennai over the weekend. I ordered rogan josh and they gave me lamb biryani instead. blink.gif

Was too tired to complain but it'll be a while before I order from there again.

Meanwhile:

020-002.JPG

"Beets and ramps"

This is a very simple salad that consists of roasted golden beets, chopped scallions, sliced ramp bulbs, mint, parsley, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper.

Ramps won't be available until next year (their season is from mid/late March to mid/late May). You can occasionally find the bulbs at farmer's markets as late as the first or second week of June however. The bulbs are extraordinarily pungent ... somewhere between double to triple the strength of a miniature onion.

052-002.JPG

Zucchini "pasta", with heirloom tomato confit and golden beets

This has three components: the zucchini "pasta", the heirloom tomato confit and the beets.

The "pasta" consists of nothing more than shaved zucchini that was given a quick sauté in olive oil. The heirloom tomato confit is sliced heirloom tomatoes, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and a very tiny bit of sugar; this was then roasted at 350 F for one hour. The beets were sautéed in olive oil, with shallots, sea salt and black pepper. Oregano and parsley to finish.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Just saw your comment, Kim. No, I wish bottarga had that quality as it would make things so much easier. There's a thread on it somewhere in the Cooking forum. Most folks shave it, but I prefer to add it to garlic-infused oil. You have to be quick though, if you do it this way, since it will burn if you wait too long before proceeding with your recipe.

Wnt9c.jpg

I'm calling this one "force in balance"

Protein is a piece of beef short rib meat taken from 3 short ribs that was stacked and bound with transglutaminase, sous vide for 72 hours at 57C, seared, and sliced into a cube with 3 sides seared dark and 3 sides freshly sliced and light.

It's sitting on top of a pillar of wilted and roughly chopped spinach.

The design on the plate is one half of homemade pesto, and one half homemade steak sauce.

Edited by Justin Uy (log)

Not the entire dinner but dinner will include this 20 lb meat coma inducing boneless rib roast that was seared on the grill, rubbed down with a mixture of roasted garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper and low-and-slowed in the oven all day. Just for reference, that's an 18"x12" pan it's sitting on. I'm going to be hurting later...

beef.jpg

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The ginger-salt roasted beets with some greens from my apartment "garden" and SV radishes.

Beets%20%282%29.jpg

Lovely composition and appealing to a beet lover like me. Can you elaborate on "ginger salt"? You must live in a cooler climate than I do as my nasturtiums are all done; their green seed pods already pickled.

The ginger-salt roasted beets with some greens from my apartment "garden" and SV radishes.

Lovely composition and appealing to a beet lover like me. Can you elaborate on "ginger salt"? You must live in a cooler climate than I do as my nasturtiums are all done; their green seed pods already pickled.

You make a paste out of ginger and combine it with some egg white and salt, to cover the beets and roast them in the oven. PM me for the details if you want, I always feel a bit icky posting recipes out of books on the internet.

The climate here allows for nasturtium all year round I think! What do you mean by pickling the green seed pods by the way?

My blog: thistasteful

Tri2: I sure hope we get a few snaps of that 'Hunk' sliced up!

Sorry, didn't grab any other pics. I served it with the usual suspects: garlic mashed, peas from the garden, a nice jus and yorkies. I cooked it at 170 f (as low as my home overn goes) and went to 125 f with it, it was cooked pretty evenly throughout. The very ends went to 130 f in the oven but nothing went over that. I'm going to cut the nice, rare center section into some thick steaks to flash on the grill tonight and then try to get creative with the rest of the leftover meat for the next few days.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2Cook-that is a great looking chunk o cow.

In the same province.Will drive ,to help get rid of leftovers, if needed :laugh:

Dinner was ,chicken rubbed with Cluck and Squeal All Purpose(amazing stuff), and finished with Sweet Baby Ray's

Imported corn is surprisingly good right now.

supper-1.jpg

Shane

3 min pizza on a cast iron comal under a broiler grill. very thin crust

pepperoni and tomato with a mix of parm,asiago, mozz . sauce was a smear of triple concentrate tom paste.

peppizzacomal-1.jpg

dry cure veneto salami , tomato, parm,asiago,mozz mix. sauce was chilli garlic sauce

salamicomalpizza.jpg

on the comal

comalpizza.jpg

crust

crustcomalpizza.jpg

edgeshot

edgecomalpizza.jpg

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Douglas -- I'm a little bit envious that you have nasturtium flowers available. :wink:

Last night:

043-001.JPG

Spaghetti con granchio e pomodoro (spaghetti with crab and tomato)

Adapted from Chef Michael White, currently of Nicoletta (New York), Ai Fiori (New York) and Al Molo (Hong Kong), amongst others.

Douglas -- I'm a little bit envious that you have nasturtium flowers available. :wink:

Last night:

Spaghetti con granchio e pomodoro (spaghetti with crab and tomato)

Adapted from Chef Michael White, currently of Nicoletta (New York), Ai Fiori (New York) and Al Molo (Hong Kong), amongst others.

Oh my, that sounds way too good not to try. Where did you find that recipe?

My blog: thistasteful