• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

So, here's the chori. Lots of lovely cooking pictures, and then (covered in chori grease) we stuffed them in buns and ate them with loud and lusty snarfling noises. This was 2 lbs; next time I shall have to buy at least double.

ChoriBefore.jpg

ChoriRaw.jpg

ChoriCooked.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Wow, nice homemade pita robirdstx!

Persian food again - fava bean khoresh.

Fava beans, freshly shelled:

favas.jpg

Dill, chopped with sea salt:

dill.jpg

Saffron mixed with rosewater and verjus (you must use copious quantities of good saffron, and really get the threads pulverized - not easy):

saffron_rose_water_verjus.jpg

The requisite tahdig (note: I will be very disappointed if people only comment on the tahdig):

tahdig.jpg

The rest of the basmati rice:

basmati.jpg

And the khoresh, which contains whole chicken thighs slowly braised in the stew, along with eggs on top added at the very end:

khoresh.jpg

Edited by patrickamory (log)

Patrick,

The khoresh(t) looks amazing. I should make some khoresh as I can see them being the roots of many of the Indo-Persian (Parsi) dishes I am familiar with. Do you recommend any cookbooks? Which one(s) are you using?

How did you pulverize the saffron? In a mortar and pestle?

Hi Percyn - we grind the saffron in a spice grinder, but you need to add a sugar cube to keep it weighed down. It takes a while, and you need to grind a lot of saffron at one time - 5-10 grams. You can do a smaller quantity but it's more difficult to reduce it to powder. (You don't use all the saffron at once of course - you can mix the remainder with rosewater and keep it in the fridge and use it as you need it.)

For cookbooks, check out Najmieh Batmanglij's Food Of Life. There's a new anniversary edition and it's terrific. Beautiful as well.

Shane – sausage sandwiches with gravy and fries….gravy and fries. I think I’m hypnotized!

Elise – lovely meals, but that duck sausage in particular has me hungry.

robirdstx – delicious looking kebabs! And that last picture looks positively professional!

Dinner a couple of nights ago was the filling from the ravioli that I didn’t like the other night made into manicotti w/ egg roll wrappers and a good, meaty Bolognese:

med_gallery_3331_114_97981.jpg

This was MUCH better than the ravioli! I also served roasted carrots and kohlrabi, fried Portobello mushrooms and green beans. The mushrooms and kohlrabi came from our CSA box and Mr. Kim like them both VERY much. The green beans came from the CSA, too. Finally something that I love! I cooked them Southern-style (the only way I care for them): with a good, fatty piece of sidemeat, a little brown sugar and a LOT of pepper – boiled like hell for an hour, then very low until all the liquid is gone. A full Dutch oven of beans ends up like this:

med_gallery_3331_114_271117.jpg

People who don't approve of this method always snootily say, "why use fresh green beans if you are going to cook them that way? You might as well use canned <sniff>". NOT true - the fresh beans maintain some integrity through all that cooking - canned ones just won't stand up to such treatment! Collapsed, army fatigue green, soft, porky, unctuous and delicious!

Langoustine with passion fruit and green apple

Potatoes with watercress and escargot

MktGOl.jpg

Strawberries with vanilla and verbena

Are those canned snails? Disappointed you took the easy way out.

Robirdstx – Sriracha and melted butter sounds good. Our version of chicken + fire = good eats:

Gai yang – This is probably my favorite easy recipe for grilled chicken. After briefly marinating with garlic, white pepper, cilantro, ginger, coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, and whiskey, the chicken is baked until nearly done and then finished over charcoal. For Patrick – Thailand the Beautiful Cookbook. :smile:

Served with bread and salad. Sweet chile sauce would have been nice, but we were out.

p51832177-4.jpg

Kim- those beans sound crazy good, very nice meal

mm84321-beautiful plating, great colours

Robirdstx- wings look perfect, love the sauce idea, will try that next time

C. sapidus- chicken looks amazing, lots of great flavours going on there

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

So, here's the chori. Lots of lovely cooking pictures, and then (covered in chori grease) we stuffed them in buns and ate them with loud and lusty snarfling noises. This was 2 lbs; next time I shall have to buy at least double.

ChoriBefore.jpg

ChoriRaw.jpg

ChoriCooked.jpg

Beautiful looking sausage

Definetly not what I what I was thinking

Thanks for the great pics :smile:

Shane

Shane - Those chicken wings look awesome. That multi-level rack is very cool. I know for a fact how good the homemade sausage is.

patrickamory- I had never heard of khoresh before now , but that picture is making me drool. Great looking meal overall actually

My wife and I had beef short ribs, grilled garlic scapes, mixed greens salad with a greek flair last night. The garlic scapes were dressed with evoo , lemon juice,s&p . they are a bit chewy, think slightly stale licorice , but oh so good done this way.Romesco sauce is great for them too.

beefshortribs.jpggrilledgarlicscapes.jpgmixedsalad.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

First course was Vietnamese chicken salad from Hot Sour Salty Sweet (inspired by the thread devoted to this book - I'm keeping it now):

vietnamese_chicken_salad.jpg

Then on to Delhi with Madhur Jaffrey... plus a Persian influence...

Tah-dig!

tahdig.jpg

We got fresh peas at the greenmarket yesterday, and shelled them:

peass.jpg

And added them to the beef kheema with fried onions:

beef_kheema_peas.jpg