• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

When I say restless night, I kinda mean , like a kid before Christmas morning :laugh:

I get the Egg nice and stable before bed and it has always run through the night. Even in the middle of

a cold Canadian winter.

Sometimes, I just get up to go out and listen to it in the middle of the night :blush:

Shane

What size egg do you use? looks perfect for that shoulder. Would you consider sharing your Egg routine to get it 'nice and stable'

i dont have an Egg, but one never knows the future! :rolleyes:

Hi Rotuts

A shoulder is my favorite cook. The mixture of meat at the end is outstanding.

This is a large Egg, and the shoulder was around 17lbs.

Getting the Egg ready for this cook is fairly easy.

First, cold beer on hand :laugh:

Then I usually clean out the Egg inside,

I only really worry about the first layer of charcoal around the air holes and botton grate.

Then I fill it up to the top of the fire ring. You don't need to go that high, but I do.

I keep my smoke wood close to the center,because the Egg usually burns straight down in mine.

Light in one spot around 12'o'clock. Get things going.

Grab a beer and STAY RIGHT THERE.

It is really important that you catch the temp before it gets to hot.

This is the hardest part of a low and slow for me.

Around 50 degrees before my target temp(250/275)

I begin to shut the vents down and let it get to temp.

Then I hold that for around 1 hour, a little more smoke wood(cherry)

After the smoke wood gets going and smelling good.

The shoulder goes on.

I do not lift the lid till the 21/22 hour mark.

I will check the temps but once the Egg gets happy.

It has never let me down :wink:

I will be picking up my second large in a couple of weeks

If you can ever get to an Eggfest in your area.

You will be amazed by the food :smile:

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

Surf and turf. Strip steak sous vide for two hours at 125, then grilled along with the lobsters. Caprese salad with buffalo mozz. Roasted new potato wedges with white truffle oil.

006.JPG

Ginger mojitos beforehand. Greg Norman petit syrah with dinner.

003.JPG

The next night was an unfortunate attempt at corned buffalo brisket, the Alton Brown recipe, which was insufferably salty and unGodly tough. Resurrected it this morning with a long boil to tenderize it, then in with some potatos for corned beef hash.

That is a perfect meal

Amazing colour on the steak

Shane

Boring looking, but it was delicious. Stracciatelle made from scratch, according to the David Tanis recipe in the Times from April (while the broth was from Marcella Hazan).

I didn't quite get "little rags," more like little clumps. Possibly because I didn't stir vigorously enough, possibly because I substituted grana padano for parmigiano-reggiano.

stracciatelle.jpg

Shane – the burgers had to be fantastic, but those twice baked potatoes are making me swoon!

Elise – the leek and goat cheese combination sounds wonderful – I love melty, hot goat cheese.

Patrick – that is some version of pork and beans :raz: ! They both look really good. And your Stracciatelle is lovely. I think that Soba made some recently and got me craving it.

mm – your asparagus is just gorgeous. I don’t even like asparagus, but that is one of the prettiest things I’ve ever seen. I made my husband and daughter come look at that picture!

Saturday night was brisket dinner! Mr. Kim had the week off last week and felt like smoking a brisket. I was only able to get the little fat-less piece from Kroger, so it turned out a bit dry, but it tasted fantastic:

med_gallery_3331_114_31792.jpg

The meal also included salad, zucchini fritters, slaw and a mustard green and quinoa dish:

med_gallery_3331_114_175332.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_179435.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_72923.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_183636.jpg

This was the mustard green and quinoa dish. It was outstanding in its awfulness. I hated it, my mother hated it, my dad hated it. Only Mr. Kim thought it was ok – but he didn’t like the leftovers at ALL. It was basically a stir fry with mustard green, prepared quinoa, toasted walnuts, chopped figs, garlic, spring onions and white wine vinegar. Even considering the fact that I don’t love vegetables, it shouldn’t have been as bad as it was. I think that maybe mustard greens are too bitter and strong to cook for such a short amount of time. Plus you’ll notice that there is a mysterious absence of pork in the recipe. It could only have helped.

Sandwich:

med_gallery_3331_114_191458.jpg

Dessert was some surprisingly early and delicious cherries and white peaches with Biscoff cookies:

med_gallery_3331_114_74608.jpg

Kim - The brisket. Oh, the brisket. Beautiful.

And MM - I'm hopping on the 'that-asparagus-looks-delightful' bandwagon. Because it does.

I went to Half Price Books the other day and found an old Rosewood Mansion cookbook by Dean Fearing from 1987 for $6.00. So I bought it. Then I made the halibut and crushed cashew with mango basil sauce as my first dish from it.

fish.JPG

Pear sorbet with blueberry coulis for dessert.

sorbet.JPG

I love getting an entire day to do stuff and then eat said stuff.

Hi Rotuts

A shoulder is my favorite cook. The mixture of meat at the end is outstanding.

This is a large Egg, and the shoulder was around 17lbs.

Getting the Egg ready for this cook is fairly easy.

First, cold beer on hand :laugh:

Then I usually clean out the Egg inside,

I only really worry about the first layer of charcoal around the air holes and botton grate.

Then I fill it up to the top of the fire ring. You don't need to go that high, but I do.

I keep my smoke wood close to the center,because the Egg usually burns straight down in mine.

Light in one spot around 12'o'clock. Get things going.

Grab a beer and STAY RIGHT THERE.

It is really important that you catch the temp before it gets to hot.

This is the hardest part of a low and slow for me.

Around 50 degrees before my target temp(250/275)

I begin to shut the vents down and let it get to temp.

Then I hold that for around 1 hour, a little more smoke wood(cherry)

After the smoke wood gets going and smelling good.

The shoulder goes on.

I do not lift the lid till the 21/22 hour mark.

I will check the temps but once the Egg gets happy.

It has never let me down :wink:

I will be picking up my second large in a couple of weeks

If you can ever get to an Eggfest in your area.

You will be amazed by the food :smile:

Shane

Hey Shane,

The pork looks killer, I have been meaning to get an egg, but with all the madness that is my life, havent had the time.

It looks as if you are a chef in Toronto? Curious as to what restaurant....

Lastly, I would love to go to an egg gathering, where/when and do I have to bring an egg? :)

Hey Sadistick

No, not a chef, just a backyard griller :laugh:

They do call the cooks at Eggfest, chef's, and some are professional

But most are just BBQ fans

Toronto Eggfest is June 9.

You need tickets in advance, but for $40(the grab bag is worth $50)

I dare you to leave hungry and uninspired :wink::smile:

Shane

Dinner a few nights ago: grilled local black gill rockcod with a mustard glaze; roasted cauliflower.

7271605374_09fb8d8778_z.jpg

The fish was covered on the flesh side with the mustard glaze (moutarde a l'ancienne + creme fraiche and plenty of chives - very loosely based on a recipe from Steven Raichlen that originally called for mayonnaise and dill). It was cooked skin-side down for about 10 -15 minutes on the grill.

The cauliflower was sliced, tossed with olive oil, and roasted in the oven.

Been away for a while, fantastic stuff everyone!

I have been away, too. I like the new look, and ease of adding photos.

Breakfast was poached eggs on toast

IMG_6412.JPG

And dinner on a hot day was tuna sashimi with fresh radish pickles.

IMG_6429.JPG

It was very filling, and not a gram of fat!

Lots of seafood and grilled meats... can't beat warm weather and the great food that comes along with it.

To maintain my family tradition of eating gnocchi every 29th of the month today we had Gnocchi with Pancetta & Peas Cream Sauce.

Many believe the tale of the gnocchi of fortune is the hope and the opportunity to share a meal with friends and family and bring good fortune.

The ritual is that you put a bill of any value under the dish with gnocchi. Then stand up and and eat seven pieces of gnocchi. For each gnocchi, make a different wish. Then sit back and enjoy the rest of the dish, preferably with a good Italian wine and good company.

Does anyone else shares the same tradition?

464850_10150869621109983_105785105_o.jpg

Inspired by what I DIDN'T order at dinner at the Eden Center last night, I made Bún Tôm Heo Nướng, one of those Vietnamese bún dishes, the sort of cold rice noodle salads, this one with shrimp:

575338_784636500371_37003198_36018198_30600790_n.jpg

Some stunningly beautiful creations! Just amazing!

For Memorial Day (USA):

A fine gentleman generously sent me some special rub (Mad Hunky). This is experimentations in:

1. Trying out the rub in various ways in three dishes, country style pork ribs, St. Louis pork ribs, and a crawfish dish.
  2. Finding out, side by side which rib of the two is my preference.

Also, I am on a pork cracklings kick. Baked crackling is not fatty.

The salad is lily bulbs with jicama.

The MH Rub worked beautifully in all three dishes.

And, to all those brave men and women who protected our freedom, I honor you on this Memorial Day.

dcarch

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baked Pork Cracklings

porkrind2.jpg

porkrind.jpg

Country Style Ribs on Watermelon Rind

countryribs.jpg

coutryribs2.jpg

Crawfish, My Style

crawfish2.jpg

crawfish.jpg

St. Louis Ribs on Pineapple and Beets

spareribspineapple.jpg

Spareribspineapple2.jpg