• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Kim -- thanks. yes, the polenta experiment went well, so much so that I think it will be a mainstay at Casa Soba for the forseeable future. :raz:

I also want to do cornmeal pancakes sometime soon. For breakfast or brunch.

Xilimmns – the croque madame tasted fabulous! How can it miss? Egg, croissant, ham and cheese and all nicely warmed. Thanks, again for the idea. We have a huge hunk of Jarlsberg, so I’ll probably be having some version of it fairly often right now!

Stash – so glad you liked it. Try grits next! I haven’t had much luck with cornmeal CAKES, but we love cornmeal waffles when we have leftover pulled pork!

Some out of town friends were in Richmond yesterday and came by for a visit in the afternoon and to have dinner. We had a few little snacks when they got here:

med_gallery_3331_114_231619.jpg

Bacon appetizers (those mysteriously popular little things that are just Club crackers, sprinkled with Parmesan, wrapped with bacon and baked LOW for a couple of hours), ham salad tea sandwiches and cheese biscuits (like straws, except I couldn’t find my cooky press). As usual those bacon things were hugely popular!

Dinner was Chicken Waldorf salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_45195.jpg

Some really wonderful white corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_34658.jpg

Ruhlman’s buttermilk rolls:

med_gallery_3331_114_26175.jpg

Which, by the way, were leftover and frozen since Easter and tasted fabulous.

Dessert was Michael Ruhlman’s Angel Food Cake with lime curd filling and a lime glaze:

med_gallery_3331_119_266564.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Kim, wonderful meal. That cake looks so light..mouthwatering.

I made morcilla-stuffed squid with a spicy tomato and chilli sauce. No joke, people - this has to be one of the best things I've made in ages. I couldn't get over how delicious this was, though it helped that I started with VERY good morcilla.

And a simple green salad of mache.

2012-05-06 at 18.45.25.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Kim – Thanks! Nice stir-fry, and it looks like you fed your visiting friends well.

RRO – Looks mighty tasty, but I had to google Morcilla.

Chipotle meatballs – meat loaf mix with mint, garlic, eggs, and panko for the meatballs; chipotle, tomato, oregano, and chicken broth for the sauce. Boys liked.

p111577768-4.jpg

Sopa ranchera – chicken broth, strained after simmering with garlic, onion, cilantro, pepper, and thyme. Shredded chicken, sliced jalapenos, diced tomato and onion are lurking in the broth, along with minced cilantro, cubed avocado, crème fraiche, and a squeeze of lime. With crusty bread to dip in the soup, it tasted better than it looked.

p37546267-4.jpg

Kim – Thanks! Nice stir-fry, and it looks like you fed your visiting friends well.

RRO – Looks mighty tasty, but I had to google Morcilla.

Chipotle meatballs – meat loaf mix with mint, garlic, eggs, and panko for the meatballs; chipotle, tomato, oregano, and chicken broth for the sauce. Boys liked.

a>

Sopa ranchera – chicken broth, strained after simmering with garlic, onion, cilantro, pepper, and thyme. Shredded chicken, sliced jalapenos, diced tomato and onion are lurking in the broth, along with minced cilantro, cubed avocado, crème fraiche, and a squeeze of lime. With crusty bread to dip in the soup, it tasted better than it looked.

a>

I have never done avocado in the soup even as a garnish - going to try it

[url=

Oh, yeah, Bruce. That reminds me I've been wanting to make chipotle meatballs for like, forever. I alternate between Kennedy's and Bayliss' recipes. I think this time up, I need to do Kennedy's......

But bottom line, I need to do them again, and soon.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Hey Phil, welcome to egullet! My kind of comfort food as well. For 2 servings I used 1/2 cup of arborio, 1 tsp of smoked paprika, 1 1/2 cup of water, chicken or vegetable broth, 1/2 can of tomato sauce (approx. 200 grams), 1 link of Spanish chorizo cut in small pieces (approx. 100 grams), 6 diced sweet piquanté peppers, chopped onion, garlic and s&p to your taste.

Sweat onions and garlic with olive oil or butter. Add chorizo and cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add paprika, rice, tomato sauce, water or broth. Bring to a boil and then cook low heat uncovered for about 30 minutes. I chose not to stir the rice every couple of minutes like I do for risotto since on this method all the water was added at once. Once you've reached rice doneness to your liking, add the peppers and serve.

It was my first time using piquanté peppers. They will give a sweet and mild heat taste, perfect combination for chorizo. Let me know how it goes!

*edited for larger font size.

Edited by Xilimmns (log)

Gahhh I wish I had pictures of this, but it was too delicious to waste time photographing.

Got some single-serving sized branzini today...prepared a seasoning oil of sea salt, black pepper, garlic, rosemary, and lime zest, all smashed up in the mortar and pestle with olive oil then added...

STRAIGHT ONTO THE CHARCOAL GRILL THEY WENT - MMMM!!!

...alongside some asparagus and leeks

...plus a basic salad and corn (not grilled)

Flippin' beautiful and delicious.

Must cook more branzino. Must use this seasoning more often! I love whole grilled fish, and this was some of the best I've done.

I've taken to a low-carb diet for the past few months, so here was my first shot at doing a faux ramen:

Beef broth slightly thickened with xanthan for body, minced wilted baby spinach, thick cut bacon, a sous vide egg (64.5C for 70min) and shirataki noodles.

My Ramen.JPG

Edited by Justin Uy (log)

I've taken to a low-carb diet for the past few months, so here was my first shot at doing a faux ramen:

Beef broth slightly thickened with xanthan for body, minced wilted baby spinach, thick cut bacon, a sous vide egg (64.5C for 70min) and shirataki noodles.

My Ramen.JPG

Justin - I have found the clear shirataki to be quite good in a pho broth so I imagine ramen style was good as well. I simmer them (before scissoring) in a heavily soy sauce laced water for about fifteen minutes before adding to the soup.

No time on Saturday to take pictures. We had caprese & rye krisp with chili-fortified cheddar for starters, then stirfried bokchoy/onion/mushrooms, glazed carrots, grilled steaks (courtesy himself), mashed potatoes, baguette. Very good.

S'mores for dessert, using those GIANT marshmallows. They hold enough heat to melt the chocolate properly, when the s'more is put together, but oh golly, they drip everywhere. We went thru a pile of washclothes, cleaning everyone up!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The tahdigs look too sexy! I'm going to stop posting photos of them... it's the khoreshes that are really more interesting... especially with sour plums in season right now...

That's how you separate the Iranians and Iraqis from everyone else. To us, it's the best part!

First, let me thank all of you who are so generous in your kind words for my last post here. I don’t feel I deserve them.

I don’t think what I do is anything special, different? Yes. Better? No.

We are in an age in which multiplicity of ideas in creativity is the reality. If you go to a museum today, you will find art styles from Salvador Dalí to Norman Rockwell, from Keith Haring to Grandma Mosses, from Jackson Polack to Paul Cézanne ------

There is no one style that is better than the other. You all have different styles and they are all have meaningful stories to tell. I enjoy viewing all your creations and discover diverse inspirations from all of them. Keep cooking and keep making your dishes in your own style. There are plenty of people who appreciate your creations.

Anyway, I just came back from a business trip and can't tell you all the good things I see in all your wonderful dishes.

I did manage to cook up a few things which I have posted in this thread:

http://forums.egulle...yo/page__st__30

Thanks again.

dcarch

• Like 1

Hey Phil, welcome to egullet! My kind of comfort food as well. For 2 servings I used 1/2 cup of arborio, 1 tsp of smoked paprika, 1 1/2 cup of water, chicken or vegetable broth, 1/2 can of tomato sauce (approx. 200 grams), 1 link of Spanish chorizo cut in small pieces (approx. 100 grams), 6 diced sweet piquanté peppers, chopped onion, garlic and s&p to your taste.

Sweat onions and garlic with olive oil or butter. Add chorizo and cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add paprika, rice, tomato sauce, water or broth. Bring to a boil and then cook low heat uncovered for about 30 minutes. I chose not to stir the rice every couple of minutes like I do for risotto since on this method all the water was added at once. Once you've reached rice doneness to your liking, add the peppers and serve.

It was my first time using piquanté peppers. They will give a sweet and mild heat taste, perfect combination for chorizo. Let me know how it goes!

*edited for larger font size.

wow,

thanks a lot for the recipe! i will try it soon and come back to you but i am almost 100% sure it will be very, very nice!

Nice salad, along with the same theme last night we made a salad, my favorite by the way. It brings me so many good memories of my childhood in Brazil. It was a tradition and still is to have this salad at a Italian restaurant named La Bolognesa in my home town near my parents home. No special dressing, just a good olive oil, salt and pepper. I lost count how many times I've had this salad growing up and still today every time I am visiting my family I try to stop by and have this salad accompanied by manzo alla parmigiana which steak served with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.

photo (11).JPG

We thought that last Sunday was Mother's Day (yeah, I know - I'm great with which day of the week it is, but terrible with where that day might fall within the month....) So, dinner was shrimp fried in butter and aliño, with mushroom and green pepper risotto and steamed asparagus. And the obligatory green salad, not pictured.

ShrimpDinner.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)