• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Ramps looking good here!!

I did a pistachio halibut, with sauted ramps ( in bacon grease ), brown rice in Ham/Bone stock with crispy ramp rings

7103297375_e08d5e4856.jpg

Tell you what crispy ramp bulb rings.. are REALLYpowerful

Its good to have Morels

Gorgeous fish and shellfish dishes, I would be delighted to be served any and all. And speaking of fish . . .

Goan monkfish curry with coconut milk and tamarind – with onions, garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and dried chiles, garnished with cilantro.

Cauliflower pilaf – with black cardamom, onion, ginger, chiles, garam masala, coconut milk, and more cilantro.

Mrs. C made the unpictured salad.

p1034791804-4.jpg

Welcome Justin, to the Dinner! thread.

Continuing the fish theme above ... :wink:

6959003614_76fbdd66eb_z.jpg

Sardines, mesclun, heirloom potatoes

The sardines were marinated for a day and a half in lemon juice; then for 12+ hours in olive oil, onion, red chile flakes, parsley, salt and pepper; then topped with breadcrumbs and broiled for 5-6 minutes at 350 F.

7105073543_abf8bd3596_z.jpg

Tajarin with samphire, fried garlic, mint and parsley

Tajarin is a thinner version of tagliatelle, from Piemonte, Italy

robirdstx – beautiful, glisteny shrimps :wub:

Thanks Kim, your shrimp and corn dish looks delicious too. I tried the NY Times Burger method the other day and, thankfully, I had opened the windows and disabled the smoke detector. I think I'm going to stick with cooking the burgers on the grill but will use the loose packing method because they were nice and juicy. :wub:

Dinner last night:

RibyEye%2520and%2520Mushrooms.jpg

Grilled Beef Ribeye and Mushrooms served with corn and romaine salad.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Dinner here was scallops, seared in butter and glazed in yuzu marmalade.

Kate, you had me at Yuzu marmalade. Is that homemade (I have never seen it in the US)? Delicious looking salad.

Justin, welcome to the thread.

A few days ago, dinner was:

Harissa Lamb Burgers w/tzatziki, feta and roasted garlic on a multi-grain ciabatta roll.

DSCN0419.JPG

The meat was a bit more rare than this picture suggests.

DSCN0422.JPG

Dinner here was scallops, seared in butter and glazed in yuzu marmalade.

Kate, you had me at Yuzu marmalade. Is that homemade (I have never seen it in the US)? Delicious looking salad.

Thanks percyn..I bought it in Tokyo (the one on the left), but I also bought a jar of yuzu jelly from June Taylor Jams in San Francisco. It's available on their page(mid way down).

I bought it about a year ago, so it wasn't as dark then as it appears now.

2012-04-24 at 07.01.33.jpg

I keep forgetting to photograph dinner, but this plate intended to amuse a tired child was documented by the recipient.

Rigatoni, meat'ball', and spinach. The details of the nose are due to the Calvin and Hobbes school of feeding a child.2012-03-28 download 297.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Kouign Aman – Looks like fun for children of all ages. :wink:

Paul – If Mrs. C was on death row, your pistachio-crusted halibut and ramps might be one of her last meals.

Stir-fried pork and tomato – with roasted sesame oil and roll-cut Anaheim chiles and bell pepper. Mrs. C found a deal on pork chops, so I hacked them up with a cleaver. Very therapeutic after a day at work.

Mixed vegetable stir-fry – with Napa cabbage, snow peas, Shiitake mushrooms, smashed garlic, fish sauce, fermented soybean paste, and black pepper. We dry-fried the mushrooms beforehand to keep them firm.

Coconut rice – with brown sugar and lime leaves.

p583453291-4.jpg

Kim – I agree. Those are fabulous looking NC shrimps.

ChrisTaylor – that’s one incredible Escoffier-themed dinner.

C. sapidus – Monk fish is expensive in NYC, $29.00 a lb. After seeing your dish, I will just have to splurge.

SobaAddict70 – I like your recipe for sardines.

robirdstx – perfect Grilled Beef Ribeye.

rarerollingobject – keep posting such delicious looking scallops, you will be responsible for making them an endangered species.

percyn – For some reason, I have never made lamb burger. Your lamb burger convinces me to try that sometime.

Paul Bacino – Very nice Pistachio Crusted Halibut/Scallops/ Braised ramps. Your ramps inspired my dish.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sous Vide leg of lamb with ramps.

dcarch

lambramp2.jpg

lambramp.jpg

Yeah, I'm curious too. (bowing emoticon)

C sapidus -- your dinners always make me hungry after I've eaten. :wink:

tonight:

6962354386_4649ba44df_z.jpg

Marinated sardines, semolina bread, tomato and onion salad

6962354532_3918a685f1_z.jpg

Asparagus and morel mushroom salad, homemade mayonnaise, hard cooked wild turkey eggs

7108427999_c2053331c7_z.jpg

Lobster with vanilla-lobster butter, butter-poached French breakfast radishes with mint, sautéed samphire

C. sapidus – Monk fish is expensive in NYC, $29.00 a lb. After seeing your dish, I will just have to splurge.

dcarch – Thank you, and wow, that lamb is a work of art! Also wow – monkfish is pricey in NYC. I was fortunate to find it on sale for about half that price.

C sapidus -- your dinners always make me hungry after I've eaten. :wink:

Soba – Thanks, that means a lot! Your meals always inspire me to try interesting things with vegetables. I am severely jealous of your greenmarket – our main farmer’s market opens in a couple of weeks, but it will never be confused with Union Square. :sad:

dcarch-- Great work again, I imagine your using a Dremel tool,you have some fine artistry skills in your work.

SobaAddict70-- Food looks good and healthy

rarerollingobject-- been on a scallop kick lately myself, never done YUZU, gonna look for it.

Bruce-- I hope ms. C is fine, :cool: love the dish

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Great looking food, everyone!

Roasted asparagus pizza (asparagus overload here....asparagus has been going on everything)

food pics 006.jpg

Chicken enchiladas

food pics 004.jpg

Stuffed strawberries

I was trying to be like DCarch and failed....but they sure tasted good.

food pics 005.jpg

Stuffed strawberries

I was trying to be like DCarch and failed....but they sure tasted good.

Um, there's nothing failed about that photo, Shelby. Those look absolutely fantastic.

Kim, thanks for your answer about the hamburguers. And beautiful salads!

Andrew (avaserfi), the evolution from the first dishes in your blog, like the MC's confit, to your own current recipes presented so beautifully is astonishing!

dcarch, your imagination has no limits, that leg of lamb goes beyond anything I can conveive!!

Paul Bacino, pistachio crushed! That's something I must try soon.

mm84321, wonderful dishes as usual. How did you get that green on the favas dish???? And what about the "scrambled eggs", please give some hint! You seem addicted to morels lately.

percyn, THAT is a sandwich, wow! Had to look up what a Reuben sandwich is, that's not in my cultural culinary background :-)

----------------------------

And here we go with some dinners:

Quinoa with sun-dried tomatoes pesto:

quinoa-con-pesto-de-tomates-secos-1.JPG

"Pularda" (Poularde? Young hen?) with Heston Blumenthal's "Pommes Purée". The "poularde" is from Cal Rovira, likely the best Spanish farm for this animals, many compare them to French Bresse chickens. And it was a really exceptional meat. Breasts were cooked sous-vide at 56ºC, legs and thighs stewed in a stock made with the carcass, then briefly roasted.

pularda-guisada-y-sv-1.JPG

Cochinita Pibil sous-vide with "pico de gallo". Followed Jaymes' RecipeGullet for Pico de gallo with guacamole.

tacos-de-cochinita-pibil-sv-con-pico-de-gallo-1.JPG

EnriqueB-- I use a mallet to crush them ( Pistachio nuts ) in a bag , 1/3 C, I then add about 50% Panko , 1 small clove of minced garlic, 1T Parsley, I then add 1T Ghee and then enough Evoo to make it slightly into a paste, S and P tt. Coat top--about 3-4 /6-8 oz portions

I Pan fry, skin on and Bake 425, Tell the Temp you like

Its good to have Morels

Paula Wolfert's Oxtail Daube. Ingredients (except the pig skin...already in the pot) and the final dish served over potato/celeriac mash from Pepin, saute musrooms and some steamed snap peas with toasted almonds from Moosewood.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Paula Wolfert's Oxtail Daube. Ingredients (except the pig skin...already in the pot) and the final dish served over potato/celeriac mash from Pepin, saute musrooms and some steamed snap peas with toasted almonds from Moosewood.

That looks amazing! I just ordered my first Paula Wolfert book (the Cooking of South Western France one)..really looking forward to trying my hand at French.

Last night was meat-henge; Vietnamese lemongrass pork neck and nem nuong, patties of ground pork with caramel, eschallot, black pepper, lemongrass and fish sauce. Ate them on a bed of rice vermicelli, pickled carrot and radish, shredded cucumber and lettuce. And mint, not shown.

Dressed with the normal nuoc cham dipping sauce of chilli, garlic, sugar, lime juice, vinegar and fish sauce.

2012-04-24 at 18.24.15.jpg