• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

dcarch: terrific looking lamb! ive not been happy with my SV lamb (yet) perhaps you might help me: what were your times and temp?

rarerollingobject: terrific squid! what differences do you find with the 'skin' on? how long on the grill?

many thanks to all for their efforts!

dcarch: terrific looking lamb! ive not been happy with my SV lamb (yet) perhaps you might help me: what were your times and temp?----

I set the temp at 132F

I had it in the bath for 24 hours. Then torched

Came out good,

dcarch

dcarch Are those chive flowers on the asparagus dish? Are they from your garden. Mine haven't produced any yet.

Those are from my lawn. No they are not chives. I had found out that they are edible a few years back, but have since forgotten the name. The flowers open during the day and close during the night. May be someone can tell the name.

dcarch

Check out Oxalis, aka Shamrock plants. They're a common garden weed over much of the western hemisphere, and have edible flowers that look just like those.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

dcarch Are those chive flowers on the asparagus dish? Are they from your garden. Mine haven't produced any yet.

Those are from my lawn. No they are not chives. I had found out that they are edible a few years back, but have since forgotten the name. The flowers open during the day and close during the night. May be someone can tell the name.

dcarch

Check out Oxalis, aka Shamrock plants. They're a common garden weed over much of the western hemisphere, and have edible flowers that look just like those.

No, the flowers look the same, but the leaves are different. I will take a picture tomorrow.

dcarch

rarerollingobject, those of us who have tried to cook squid can instantly tell that your squid is a dish of beauty. Totally amazing in the exact timing in cooking. There is a very narrow window between overcooking and raw squid. Beautifully photographed too.

dcarch

dcarch, that's wonderfully kind..especially because that squid was grilled in very difficult circumstances; slightly drunk (me, not the squid), on a BBQ I'd never used before, with so little light to see by that I had to resort to holding up my iPhone as a torch! :laugh:

dcarch: terrific looking lamb! ive not been happy with my SV lamb (yet) perhaps you might help me: what were your times and temp?

rarerollingobject: terrific squid! what differences do you find with the 'skin' on? how long on the grill?

many thanks to all for their efforts!

rotuts, the squid has a little more texture with the skin on...a little crispy, a little chewy. After about three or four minutes on each side.

Everybody's food looks so so tasty and elegant! I'm almost ashamed to post my humble Valencia orange and ginger soup with turkey and veggies....

TurkeySoup.jpg

ETA - apologies for the picture; the light I had over me burned out seconds before I took the snap, so it's come out looking like a bad scan of an old film pic.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

I'm now on the hunt for Yuzuco sauce. I'm very much a green chili person.

but ... Uni on toast? can anything be better? was it warm or cold?

Uni sushi is for the God's. those little cup like things with Uni on the top wrapped in dried seaweed.

From Maine no less!

dcarch

No, the flowers look the same, but the leaves are different. I will take a picture tomorrow.

dcarch

Cardamine, then. I was weighing between the two, and I figured that Oxalis is more pernicious. But if you've got Cardamine, you can also dig the rhizomes and use them in salads - they're sort of spicy radishy in quite a pleasant way.

rarerollingobject - thank you for the secret of making perfect squid; get your self slightly inebriated first. LOL. Amazing BBQ'd king prawns, doused with yuzu tobasco. I have been trying to buy a yuzu tree. A gulf ball size yuzu is $3.00 here, if you can find it.

Panaderia Canadiense – the fuzzy picture cannot hide the fact that your Valencia orange and ginger soup is beautifully plated.

mm84321 – pictures of the unknown weed and it’s flowers.

dcarch

81dfd9f4.jpg

cd52b19b.jpg

Bok Choy, mushrooms, catfish sauteed w soysauce, ginger, garlic and a ripe serrano chili. Plain noodles on the side.

Veg & noodles Mar 2012.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Patrick – another tahdig! <sigh>. I think everyone thinks that their mom makes the best potato salad, but hers really is great – she made a huge bowl and there was almost none left.

mm – Mr. Kim was sighing over your John Dory. He had it for the first time on our trip to London and declared it his favorite fish of all time.

dcarch – your strawberries are especially amazing, my friend! Are they completely sliced through and then stuffed or only partially sliced? And what is sprinkled over?

Kate – you are hesitant to post that gorgeous grilled squid after my ordinary American dinner??? Wha…? Not to mention that incomparable view!

A couple of nights ago, I made dinner from the leftovers from a not so great dinner out with my dad:

med_gallery_3331_114_3578124.jpg

The original steak didn’t have a very good char, so I heated up a pan of butter and Worcestershire sauce and gave it a good incineration. It was slightly overdone, but not too bad. Still, it started out as a really good piece of meat, so it was tender and tasted great. This is Mr. Kim’s plate and the sprouts are fresh.

My plate:

med_gallery_3331_114_2272453.jpg

The leftovers from a gigantic baked potato that Daddy and I shared. That is a dinner plate!

Been on an Italian kick lately (no surprise there)...

7070757385_84bc9cb198_z.jpg

Stracciatella alla Romana

I think I used one too many eggs here.

6929046656_dc5503ed9a_z.jpg

Spinach salad.

This is dressed very simply: extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

7075125437_d3341e7b63_z.jpg

Pasta a risi, with spinach and shiitake mushrooms.

This has two kinds of spinach -- regular spinach and Bordeaux spinach. The latter is an heirloom variety with reddish stems and leaf veins. The stems darken to a reddish-brown when cooked.

mm – Mr. Kim was sighing over your John Dory. He had it for the first time on our trip to London and declared it his favorite fish of all time.

It's certainly one of my favorites as well.

Tonight I cooked salmon "unilaterally", or rather, poached in a shallow pan of water from one side only. It keeps the salmon rare on top, yet cooked through and very moist on the inside. Served with braised leeks and a red wine sauce.

A0YGxl.jpg

" dcarch – your strawberries are especially amazing, my friend! Are they completely sliced through and then stuffed or only partially sliced? And what is sprinkled over?"

Kim, that's very easy. Stick a tooth pick or skewer thru the strawberry, and you can do a spiral cut without the strawberry falling apart.

I admire your ability in the leftover makeovers. It is an art form.

dcarch

Chaing Mai barbecued pork – chunks of pork tenderloin skewered and grilled after marinating with coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, white pepper, coriander, sugar, and chopped cilantro root. Served with jasmine rice and sweet chile sauce.

p350175498-4.jpg

Bean sprout pork – ground pork stir-fried with garlic, fish sauce, white pepper, sugar, scallions, and bean sprouts.

p248156867-4.jpg

For dinner tonight, a savory tart with Gruyere, homemade ricotta, home-cured pancetta, red onion, chives & thyme.

7078800175_e8e9aae01c_z.jpg

I served it with a little parsley salad on top.

7078878815_56af11152c_z.jpg

Then we had a salad of baby red lettuce, and for dessert another round of crème fraîche panna cotta with strawberries that I am now addicted to.

FrogPricesse, wonderful tart!.

And so many ideas from all these nice dishes.

These are some of our latest dinners:

Cream of cauliflower with red beet chips adapted from Ad Hoc at Home

crema-de-coliflor-con-chips-de-remolacha-1.JPG

Pressure-cooked carnitas with guacamole, julienned carrot, sauce from the reduction of the cooking juices plus home-made achiote paste, sweet pickled red onions.

pressure-cooked-carnitas.JPG

Italian-style soup: brown chicken stock, mirepoix, ditallini pasta, soft-boiled (actually sous-vide) egg

sopa-italiana-con-huevo-sv-1.JPG

Guinea fowl in dutch oven from The Complete Robuchon, with a true french "label rouge" Guinea fowl

pintada-asada-robuchon-1.jpg

pintada-asada-robuchon-5.jpg

Stash – I adore Stracciatella! Is it considered ‘home food’, do you know? Because I never see it in Italian restaurants.

Dcarch – thank you so much for the strawberry instructions – really genius! Also for the leftover compliment. When we first married, I was an EXTREMELY profligate cook. I’d toss anything less than a cup of food. And even whole portions of things if I thought I didn’t want them again the next day. Mr. Kim was raised much more frugally and was strenuous in his objections. I’ve tried for years to be better at repurposing leftovers, but I still prefer new things most of the time.

Bruce – that BBQ pork looks and sounds wonderful. And not spicy, so both Mr. Kim and I could eat it :wink: ! I’m printing out the ingredients!

Elise – your tart sound so good. I’m printing those ingredients out, too!

It was breakfast for dinner last night Chez Shook:

med_gallery_3331_114_51789.jpg

That croissant is from a bakery in Old Town Alexandria. I was up there to meet with an old friend on Thursday. It was excellent. I don’t think that there is any place in Richmond (at least not near me) to get a croissant of that quality. I guess I’m going to have to start a cooking project, huh?

Kim – Thank you, I hope you like the pork. Breakfast for dinner is always a good idea, and that croissant looks particularly good.

Dinner from 50 great curries of India by Camellia Panjabi. Visiting teenaged boy (formerly a picky eater) chowed down happily.

Parsi chicken curry – with a fried spice paste of onion, garlic, ginger, dried chiles, cumin, coriander, sesame seed, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom, simmered with tomatoes and coconut milk, and then finished with vinegar and garam masala.

Cauliflower with ginger – with cumin, cayenne, and garam masala. Simple and good.

Basmati rice – with a cinnamon stick, bay leaf, black cardamom, clove, and turmeric

p534016167-4.jpg