• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Forgive me, I'm lazy, I don't want to go back and list all the beautiful dinners I've seen. Just want to say they all really look delicious!

And welcome to the thread to Enrique :smile:

I've not been taking pictures but we had a couple of very simple and comforting meals: guinea fowl legs with bacon and sage with polenta. Yesterday night we also had lamb chops with mint sauce and a nice salad of mograbiah and vegetales.

Bruce – thanks – I’ve saved the link and will try it when I’m feeling crafty!

Stash – Salt and pepper shrimp is a favorite of mine. You are making some really gorgeous spring meals!

Dcarch – it’s an Ove Glove. Your lamb looks wonderful. I’m planning on lamb for Easter and can’t wait for my first bite of spring lamb!

Pierogi - Here's the link to the NY Times burger recipe. It’s really nothing elaborate – you just pack the ground beef really, really lightly, sear the burgers in an iron skillet and finish them in the oven. Open all the windows and turn up the exhaust fan, though – our house is always full of smoke when I do these!

rotuts – I’ve linked the recipe above. I like American cheese (the one that Kraft calls ‘Deluxe’ – not the individually wrapped ones) on a few select things – grilled cheese, tomato sandwiches and hamburgers. At least with the hamburgers I’m in good company – Wylie Dufresne and now you :smile: !

dcarch - thank you for the kind words. Coming from you, that's a major compliment! Your lamb photos are beautiful, as usual, but that first close up of the lamb shreds....mmmm, delectable.

percyn - very nice, but where's the lettuce?! You have something against vegetables, don't you?? :laugh:

Franci - mind sharing how the pasta sauce is made? I love the taste of shallots, anything oniony really.

Dinner here was the latest in my effort to recreate my local takeaway's Thai marinated chicken. Butterflied and marinated in garlic, lemongrass, ginger, fish sauce, white pepper, turmeric and sugar. And some roast vegetables in the background, since I'm hassling percyn. :wink:

It was delicious, though in the photo that chicken seems almost a little..immodest.

2012-03-30 at 18.53.58.jpg

Pizza, salad, red wine and good company for my birthday - it does not get much better.Pizza Birthday 69 001.JPG

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Jmahl, happy birthday!!! Your pizza looks wonderful, I wish I could have a slice right now, breakfast time for me.

But I could eat also avaserfi dish, no problem :biggrin:

Franci - mind sharing how the pasta sauce is made? I love the taste of shallots, anything oniony really.

Very humble. For 2 I cooked 5-6 huge chopped shallots very slowly, with good amount of EVOO, for a good 20-30 minutes, added some smoked lardoons (maybe 70-80 grams)after the shallots were soften, at that point I should have added some tomatoes tinned or fresh but I had some nice tomatoes sauce from the day before which I used. It's not a very red sauce, more or less same weight of tomatoes and shallot. I add a spicy pepper and didn't feel adding any herb but it wouldn't hurt.

Happy birthday, Jmahl. Pizza looks great.

Franci, thanks for the directions. I don't tend to eat much pasta, but I'm going to give that a go.

As for moi, I woke up this morning with a terrible hankering for gochujang, Korean sweet fermented chilli paste. If there's one ingredient I find hugely addictive, it's gochujang.

Made dwaejibulgogi, pork belly braised with gochujang, garlic, ginger, onions, green onions, sesame oil, sugar and soy. And broccolini.

Ears are ringing with the heat.

2012-03-31 at 19.21.54copy.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Hi Everyone,

I mostly lurk this thread these days, but wanted to let you know about a meal I had at ScottyBoy's recently and it was because of the dinner thread! I was going to be in Oakland and from seeing his posts on here I asked if I could try his food. He graciously had me over and made a great meal. If any of you are ever in Oakland, you should look him up. Thanks Scott!

Jeff