• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

... I feel like the grinder "eats" about a fifth of it...

Your Millser wouldn't ?

Yes easier to get out of the Millser, but there's something about the pounded texture of the wetgrinder's paste that releases more flavor into the curry.

Great looking lasagna, Shalmanese. Did you use ricotta or bechamel, and what type of sauce did you use?

Tonight we had Jamie Oliver's "fantastic roast chicken" with butter, thyme, garlic, lemon zest and home-cured pancetta/tesa (my modification - the original recipe calls from prosciutto) under the skin. My favorite way to roast a chicken.

6835000702_18f72e3537_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Wonderful meals all around.

041.JPG

"Chicken and parsnips". Roasted parsnips, green garlic, capers and chicken skin "chips" lightly dressed with lemon juice.

105.JPG

Chicken and dumplings. Vegetables cooked in a blond roux (with rendered chicken fat and flour), then simmered in vermouth and chicken stock with leftover roast chicken; served with herb dumplings, peas, cream and parsley.

I think it'll be a while before I have chicken again. :wink:

Lordy Pilori that's a lovely meal.

I turned the last of my meyer lemons (hand-picked from my friend's Berkeley backyard) into a meyer lemon focaccia:

focaccia close.jpg

I used the same template (along with the rosemary) for a concord grape focaccia in the fall. I find the whole salty-sweet interplay pretty addictive.

Wow! That looks great!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Elise – your seafood risotto looks fantastic. One of my favorite dishes!

Pilori – wow! I’m impressed – terrific meal!

Deena – meyer lemon focaccia??? I’m swooning at the thought (excellent photo, by the way).

Stash – your chicken and dumplings looks great. I recently made it and don’t tend to repeat dishes very frequently, but you’ve got me craving it now. Those dumplings look absolutely perfect.

Dinner last night was some BBQ that I bought when we were in NC visiting my grandmother this weekend:

med_gallery_3331_114_182477.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_32162.jpg

Served with Short Sugar’s slaw and some fries. The BBQ is from Short Sugar’s in Reidsville NC and is my favorite pork in the world. Their sauce is like nothing I’ve ever tasted – it’s neither Western style with catsup, nor Eastern vinegar based. It looks like nothing more than Worcestershire sauce – thin and brown, but no one has ever been able to crack the code. The pork is good, not great anymore, but that sauce is so good that will elevate even grocery store BBQ!

Thanks folks. The recipe is an adaptation of the one Elise has on her blog -- http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_and_dumplings/ (with a few tweaks).

Although truth be told, pulled pork sounds great right about now...

I still want to do chicken pot pie at some point in the future, once I get over my fear of baking.

S.

mm beautiful dorade

Kim that pulled pork looks amazing

and I'll echo what everyone else has said about the Meyer lemon focaccia deensiebat. I also love a savory-sweet combination. If I had any baking skills I'd give this a go (I actually have some meyer lemons left over from my preserved lemons experiment)

patrick -- that reminds me that I have to place an order from Steve soon, probably next week.

mm -- I love that it's a play on "chicken kiev", I think?

Leftovers from last night, but this was something I came up with on the spur of the moment:

185.JPG

"Foursome".

Clockwise from upper left: (1) micro-tatsoi greens, dressed with hazelnut oil and lemon juice, (2) quick "preserved" blood oranges and lemon, (3) baked cippolini onion with sherry vinegar and green garlic, and (4) marinated olives.

First "real" meal (ie not a takeout pizza) in my new house, on my new plates! Tilapia poached in sweet and sour Reina Claudia sauce with a hint of curry and basil, with turmeric wild mushroom rice and some (ubiquitous in our kitchen) asparagus. 'Twere delish.

IMG_0078.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Two Day meal with lent obligation tomorrow!!

Eggplant Rigatoni

6985029131_120b81b75f.jpg

EggPlant Rigatoni-- Japanese eggplant cube( seared till Brown )- add touch of celery with. towards end of browning add shallots/garlic/red pepper/salt.. cook add red sauce/ balsamic /cook --add noodles / just sauce with pasta water finish with grana and parsley!! This is a two day meal!!

Its good to have Morels

IMG_3898.JPG

Simple saffron sauce with cherry tomatoes, potatoes, tomato juice, onion, little garlic, corriander seed, and scallops. Really enjoyed the sauce, frozen scallops were not good as usual being in Kansas.

After the chicken-fest of the past couple days, I thought it might be time to feel virtuous again...

016-1.JPG

Samphire (sea beans) and black radish, with extra-virgin olive oil

026-1.JPG

Poached farm egg, with asparagus and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

037-1.JPG

Potato gnocchi, with asparagus and black trumpet mushrooms

:smile: