• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Gumbo today. Second try and now I wonder where you, gumbo, have been my whole life.

Gumbo 015.JPG

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

lochaven I could definitely go for those meatballs.

I made yet more beans tonight - this time just anasazi beans from Kalustyan's. For once I didn't do the no-soak - instead a 3-minute boil followed by a 4-hour soak. Then about an hour's simmer with garlic, shallots, Mexican oregano, carrots and salt. Absolutely delicious.

anasazi_beans.jpg

There have been so many wonderful meals posted this week, I won't event attempt to call them out. With one (well,two) exceptions: Shelby and dcarch, your Fat Tuesday meals were absolutely astounding. Shelby, if you're making your own olive relish/salad for the muffaletta, and I feel pretty sure you are, I'd love a recipe. dcarch, the whole meal is gorgeous, but the pepper masks really topped it magnificently.

The only thing I've cooked this week:

002.JPG

Sous vide ribs. Not bad. I'm getting there.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kim – Thank you! I could definitely get comfortable with your comfort meal.

Wow, I go away for a few hours, and the number of amazing meals that appears overwhelms my ability to comment.

Beef Panang with sliced red bell peppers, Jalapenos, onions, and lime leaves, over jasmine rice. Elder son was in a hurry to eat and go out, so I put him to work slicing and dicing.

Stir-fried gai lan with black bean sauce, garlic, chiles, and fish sauce. Improvised, after I realized we were out of oyster sauce.

p641988061-4.jpg

My turn tonight to cook dinner for a co-worker who recently gave birth to a big baby boy.

Pot roast with onions, potatos, carrots, rosemary.

016.JPG

Roasted broccoli with orange zest and pecans.

009.JPG

Bread (actually, this is mine. What I took to them was from the same batch, as rolls. See blog in a day or so for details.)

028.JPG

And pear upside down cake.

013.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The only thing I've cooked this week:

002.JPG

Sous vide ribs. Not bad. I'm getting there.

Wow these ribs look fantastic.

Tonight we had grilled local pastured chicken.

6784263388_ee86aed3be_z.jpg

On the side we had caramelized carrots baked with Lillet, coriander, and herbes de Provence.

Late (really really late) Saturday dinner.

002.JPG

"Roots and greens."

Right: Oven-braised winter vegetables (carrots, Japanese and American turnips, black radishes and hedgehog mushrooms).

Left: Tatsoi salad, dressed with a hazelnut vinaigrette (hazelnut oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper).

084.JPG

Spaghetti with mussels, garlic and winter greens.

Lovely meals, all. Very inspiring..I now have a major hankering for Swedish meatballs, but..my guilty pleasure, the Ikea kind. Shall I just turn in my eG membership card now?

RRO, I'd have to turn mine in, too, for the same reason! And they're so wonderfully cheap ...

Heh..come sit by me, Rico, we'll eat together.. :wink:

mm84321, really liked you last meals.

David Ross, very clean looking your bone marrows. Look great.

Patrickamory, I'm not a big beans eater but I envy you Kalustyan's very much.

Xilimmns, I like your picture and the risotto looks cooked just right for me.

Soba, did open the mussels on the stove and then took the mollusks out? Or did you open them by hand, collect the mussels and water and then cook? To me the mussels look a little dry. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but spaghetti with mussels is a specialty of my hometown and it tastes so much better to cook the raw mussels (no shell) with their water then opening them with shell on the stove. I remember though, when I lived in the States, that mussels (and clams) had less water than back home. If you try, let me know what you think.

Tonight we had stuffed lamb's hearts from Nose to Tail. I like it.

lambshearth.jpg

mussels were steamed with white wine before being added to the sauce. don't be fooled by that pic, the pasta wasn't dry at all, as there was olive oil, mussel juice and a little fish stock in the mix.

I don't add cheese to pasta with seafood, usually, either.

mussels were steamed with white wine before being added to the sauce. don't be fooled by that pic, the pasta wasn't dry at all, as there was olive oil, mussel juice and a little fish stock in the mix.

I don't add cheese to pasta with seafood, usually, either.

MMmhhh, I truly didn't want to sound offending and if I did I apologize. I didn't say that the pasta looked dry (not at all) but the mussels yes, a bit. Since 99% of the recipes call for steaming the mussels in advance, I was offering an alternative cooking method which in my opinion gives a much better result. If you or anybody else want to try, I'm curious to know your opinion.

Wow, it looks fantastic Xilimmns! If it is not too much trouble, could you make a post in this thread along with comments about what you thought about the recipe and you would do differently if anything?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Wow, it looks fantastic Xilimmns! If it is not too much trouble, could you make a post in this thread along with comments about what you thought about the recipe and you would do differently if anything?

You got it Sir. I hope you try it and let me know the results!

Oooh! I'm loving the canard dish, I'll have to get Sheepish to get some duck in.

Last night, we had a chicken tagine and an adapted spring vegetable couscous from Claudia Roden's Arabesque. Normally, I would do a basic plain couscous but because it was a Sunday, I wanted to dress it up a little. Here it is!

DSC_0010.JPG