• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

dcarch – love, love, LOVE the look of that dirty rice!

Shelby – oh, my, dear! Your Fat Tuesday meal? Every single thing looks delicious and beautiful! I’m still full and I would have some of everything! That bread is truly impressive.

Franci – how I envy you being able to buy plaice. I love it so much!

Bruce – your pasta looks fabulous and I, too, am intrigued by the idea of slow cooked onions on pasta!

robirdstx – mmmmm, tonkatsu! Haven’t had that in awhile.

Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_81610.jpg

Smothered cube steak, smashed potatoes and green beans. Just good, plain comfort food.

It's a layered pie-type thing of quail breasts, a stuffing mixture (onion, carrot, cabbage and bacon) and pheasant pate (it's meant to be foie gras, but my budget doesn't really allow for that). It's sitting atop a slice of bread and wrapped, as you can see, in a blanched cabbage leaf. The sauce is pretty much a heavily reduced chicken stock jacked with some of the deli glace I made last week and flavoured with some roast onions and carrots, parsley, bay, thyme and port (in place of Madeira). The sauteed Swiss Browns were my addition.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Dinner last night. Swedish Meatballs. Beef, sautéed onions, egg yolks, milk/bread, parsley, lemon zest, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and pepper. It was interesting reviewing recipes -- they were all over the place so went with this combo. Did a taste patty and adjusted all the seasonings...glad I did.

The Mix

20120223_173011.jpg

The electric skillet -- I find this works best.

20120223_181654.jpg

Browning

20120223_182351.jpg

Gravy/Sauce – Cream/milk, flour, nutmeg, salt, pepper.

20120223_183440.jpg

The Final Dish with egg noodles/lingonberries. A little work but well worth the effort. A little thinner sauce next time. :rolleyes:

20120223_184828.jpg

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

Dinner last night. Swedish Meatballs. Beef, sautéed onions, egg yolks, milk/bread, parsley, lemon zest, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and pepper. It was interesting reviewing recipes -- they were all over the place so went with this combo. Did a taste patty and adjusted all the seasonings...glad I did.

The Mix

20120223_173011.jpg

The electric skillet -- I find this works best.

20120223_181654.jpg

Browning

20120223_182351.jpg

Gravy/Sauce – Cream/milk, flour, nutmeg, salt, pepper.

20120223_183440.jpg

The Final Dish with egg noodles/lingonberries. A little work but well worth the effort. A little thinner sauce next time. :rolleyes:

20120223_184828.jpg

(Moan) I'm weeping for joy, here, but also out of frustration! Me want! :wink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Blether – I never get tired of shepherd’s pie, especially one as gorgeous as that. But next time, I’d like to see a picture of the inside, please!

lochaven – your Swedish meatballs look delicious. We haven’t had them in so long – I need to do them soon.

Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_186533.jpg

Cheese soufflés, Shriner Brunswick stew – fixed up (I added hot sauce, Worcestershire, a little bacon salt and a LOT of pepper), but still not as good as mine :blush: . I always add some of Mr. Kim’s pulled pork and that makes all the difference in the world!

... But next time, I’d like to see a picture of the inside, please!

How about last time ? :smile:

What's Brunswick stew ?

Thank you, sir! Here's a link to a description of Brunswick stew. Pay no attention to the bogus claims that it was invented by Georgians. It is a Virginia creation. :wink:

Lovely meals, all. Very inspiring..I now have a major hankering for Swedish meatballs, but..my guilty pleasure, the Ikea kind. :unsure: Shall I just turn in my eG membership card now?

For dinner I made grilled squid with chilli, garlic, lemon and parsley. I like to leave the skin on for a bit more texture.

2012-02-25 at 19.00.35.jpg

And a ruby grapefruit, navel orange, fennel, and avocado salad, with blood orange olive oil.

2012-02-25 at 19.00.41.jpg

• Like 1

That's some sexy squid. Too, if David Chang's allowed to love Chicken McNuggets and Mark Best can get away with salt and vinegar crisps, I think you can enjoy Ikea's lumps of mystery meat.

steakfrites.jpg

Steak frites. The fries are, yes, supermarket-grade fries. And I didn't even try Keith W's technique of deep-frying them in beef or duck fat (but I'll get around to that at some point). Low. Low. Low. But the sauce. Yeah. It was meant to be sauce porto, just like the one in the Les Halles Cookbook, but I didn't have shallots or any more homemade beef stock (it all went into the demi last week). The solution? A bit of garlic, a splash of port, a nice lump of frozen demi, a splash of decent (but store-bought) stock, a bay leaf and a couple of dried mushrooms. It worked.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Fabulous meals all, especially the Fat Tuesday ones.

A few catch-up posts...

Pan Seared Salmon on curried Israeli Couscous, topped w/David Chang's Quick Pickles

DSCN0280.JPG

Seafood Sausage, Mashed Potato, Red Wine Demi Glace, Butternut Squash

DSCN0283.JPG

Garlic and Cheese stuffed chicken

DSCN0277.JPG

Oyster PoBoy

DSCN0269.JPG

DSCN0270.JPG

Lobster Rolls

DSCN0258.JPG

Ramen

DSCN0263.JPG

Beef Wellington

DSCN0246.JPG

Ribeye w/Red Wine Demi Glace and Roasted Sweet Potatoes

DSCN0249.JPG

Surf n Turf

DSCN0248.JPG

... But next time, I’d like to see a picture of the inside, please!

How about last time ? :smile:

What's Brunswick stew ?

Thank you, sir! Here's a link to a description of Brunswick stew. Pay no attention to the bogus claims that it was invented by Georgians. It is a Virginia creation. :wink:

These pix might give you a clue. ;)

2559352667_178cd79b19_o.jpg

2559352799_e08ea337f2_o.jpg

2559356107_a598effcf8_o.jpg

Lovely meals, all. Very inspiring..I now have a major hankering for Swedish meatballs, but..my guilty pleasure, the Ikea kind. Shall I just turn in my eG membership card now?

RRO, I'd have to turn mine in, too, for the same reason! And they're so wonderfully cheap ...

Oh Percyn! Other people's photos make me envious of their artistic skills - your food photos just make me damned hungry. Wonderful meals. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog