• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

ohh so they need to be in a small glass. I've been trying it in a large-ish container.

Might need to up the ice aswell, i usually only have 1/3 ice.

I use a large coffee cup and fill it almost to the top with ice and it always works for me. Try it out.

Here's an example. I think this is the effect you are looking for.

BsPK1l.png

Edited by mm84321 (log)

Scottyboy, frozen foie? Torchon?

Paul, I never had grits but your dish made me really want to try. Next time I come to the States.

Amkr, welcome.

Patrickamory, thanks I'll save the recipe. We love vietnamese and oxtail.

Tonight we had Dong Po Pork. The photo is bad, looking forward to have a camera again but the dish was delicious. Not a traditional pairing but I still had a little bit of red cabbage from Christmas in the freezer and went very well together. Plus some rice and glazed carrots.

DongPoPork.jpg

Franci, the recipe is Ina Garten's, here. And I didn't have an old rooster -- I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs from the supermarket. A reasonable substitute.

Thanks for the recipe, Kay, as I was actually the one who asked for it. :smile:

This is from Saturday night. I did a Beef chuck sous vide for 36 hours and the drained off the jus and added tomatoes and reduced it. My wife called it the best pot roast ever. I thought it was like eating really beefy fillet. My plan was to make retrograded potatoes but something went very wrong and they went brown on me.

sous vide chuck.jpg

Good Mother Stollards AGAIN. I'm completely addicted, and will have to order another four pounds shortly. Rancho Gordo, you have a lot to answer for.

Cooked the Russ Parsons way, the Stollards take about 2 hours in my oven, or a little less. Aromatics included carrots, shallots, garlic, parsley and oregano indio.

I had a nice selection of Jamaican scotch bonnets, plus a jalapeno, some more fresh parsley, and fresh lime to top it. Truthfully none of these were even necessary. The beans are so delicious they need scarcely anything extra to show their best.

chiles.jpg

beans.jpg

Made some Korean food - dakgalbi, chicken, rice cakes and vegetables in a thick spicy sauce; sundubu jjigae, soft tofu stew in this case made with a lot of root vegetables and seafood, and some pickle-y things and soju.

404399_740796910261_37003198_35799266_78493245_n.jpg

426986_740796960161_37003198_35799268_1633988074_n.jpg

427173_740796975131_37003198_35799269_664681425_n.jpg

Edited by Hassouni (log)

patrick -- I haven't had a bad RG bean ever.

015.JPG

Belgian endive and Bordeaux spinach salad, with oil-cured olives, blood orange and roasted shallot vinaigrette.

This is partially adapted from this post at Yummy Supper. Mostly ingredient substitutions/additions (i.e., endive for radicchio, olives for hazelnuts, sherry vinegar for balsamic, blood oranges for Cara-Caras), otherwise the recipe is the same.

020.JPG

Spaghetti with butter, Parm-Reg cheese, black pepper and parsley.

Not exactly cacio e pepe, but something close to it.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Dinner tonight:

original.jpg

Chicken Tikka Masala as per Heston's In Search of Perfection. The chicken was brined for 6 hours in an 8% brine, then marinaded 12 hours in garlic and ginger, and another 12 hours with yogurt, chilli powder, and garam masala. Then the chicken was grilled on the kamado. In the meantime, a sauce was made by pressure cooking tomatoes with spices. To this was added fried onions, cashew nut butter, fenugreek, garam masala, yogurt, and butter. Finally the chicken and sauce was brought together with the above result. Unlike other butter chicken, this one has a nice texture and a hint of char from the fire.

original.jpg

Cucumber and mint raita, with home made yogurt.

Dinner was served with saffron rice.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

original.jpg

Chicken Tikka Masala as per Heston's In Search of Perfection. The chicken was brined for 6 hours in an 8% brine, then marinaded 12 hours in garlic and ginger, and another 12 hours with yogurt, chilli powder, and garam masala.

Looks nice. What is the reasoning behind using two separate marinades?

Paully's Ceviche

1/2 lb Maine Shrimp

1 lime juiced

1/4 orange juiced

1/4 Serrano minced fine

1 medium shallot minced fine

Celery and Pomegranates to taste

parsley and pepper to finish, allow to sit two hrs

What I really like is the sweetness provided by Pomegranates and the crunch of celery, the texture of the firmed shrimp..

Enjoy with Frito Scoops ( this is the salt ) :cool:

6917509879_af440499d7.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Dinner tonight:

original.jpg

Chicken Tikka Masala as per Heston's In Search of Perfection. The chicken was brined for 6 hours in an 8% brine, then marinaded 12 hours in garlic and ginger, and another 12 hours with yogurt, chilli powder, and garam masala. Then the chicken was grilled on the kamado. In the meantime, a sauce was made by pressure cooking tomatoes with spices. To this was added fried onions, cashew nut butter, fenugreek, garam masala, yogurt, and butter. Finally the chicken and sauce was brought together with the above result. Unlike other butter chicken, this one has a nice texture and a hint of char from the fire.

Looks better than any CTM I've seen

Oh my! and Oh my again! and OH MY!

What a lot of wonderful looking food.

Franci, that lamb dish looks interesting. I can only imagine all the different textures.

We snacked a lot, but there was one night w sliders, mashed potatoes and carrot rings

IMG_3350.jpg

And then there was the magic night when the child preferred the "real cheese" mac ' n cheese to her old fav, the blue box. And there was rejoicing.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Anna – ‘heroin wings’ :laugh: – I want some for dinner! And would you give a little primer in Parmesan onions? Pretty please? Those look wonderful. I must be on your wavelength, because that shrimp salad with the hearts of palm looked fantastic to me, too!

Shelby – how does sesame honey chicken work? It looks great.

Kay – I’d call those meals MUCH more than decent! I’m swooning over the shrimp and grits, especially.

Dcarch – what kind of sauce was under your lamb chops? It looks almost creamy.

David – your cod wrapped in bacon is beautiful – so clean and fresh looking!

Mrs. S – your entire anniversary meal looks and sounds delicious, but I believe that I would have shamed myself with the gougeres and parm crisps! I can almost taste them.

amkr – Welcome! Your pork belly bun is a thing of beauty! I want to find somewhere hear that makes those!

robirdstx – your soup looks so good. We are making a sausage and escarole soup with cannellini beans on Friday for our CSA soup swap on Saturday, but the next time that I make it, I think I’ll switch out the beans for lentils!

Stash – that blood orange and endive salad looks like early Spring! So pretty and fresh sounding.

Finally starting to feel human again after being sick since Sunday. Dinner last night came out of the freezer (I did cook them originally, though):

med_gallery_3331_114_185337.jpg

Sausage rolls and mini quiche Lorraine. Plus a salad

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Franci, that lamb dish looks interesting. I can only imagine all the different textures.

Kouign Aman, you are referring to the "coratella", the lamb offals, I guess. It is a very traditional Roman dish. My mom looked at it very suspiciously, like she didn't even want to try it and then almost surprised she said it was very good :cool: I'm slowly converting her to offals.

I enjoyed watching

. I did a little bit of search since in my area we cook lamb offals differently.

Frogprincess, from your dish I see, I'm Italian and you are French :laugh: sausage on the side. I'm sure it was really good.

Tonight I made the duck confit and quinoa salad from Ad hoc at Home and since it's Carnival, we had chiacchiere! Only make once a year because they are highly addictive

chiacchiere1.jpg

Frogprincess, from your dish I see, I'm Italian and you are French :laugh: sausage on the side. I'm sure it was really good.

Absolutely French, and I have no claim of authenticity whatsoever regarding this dish. :smile:

Anyway, we always end up cutting up the sausage and mixing it with the pasta and the sauce. Usually I braise the sausages in the sauce, but this time I wanted to grill them for a change.

Your chiacchiere look fabulous! I have not had these (or their French equivalent, "bugnes") in years.

Looks nice. What is the reasoning behind using two separate marinades?

Don't know. I just followed Heston's instructions. There was something in the discussion about yogurt helping the marinade penetrate further into the chicken, but I don't know why he didn't combine both marinades into one.

BTW the chicken straight out of the BBQ was simply amazing. It was so good that I wondered if the sauce would add much to it.

Kim Shook if you want somewhere that makes those pork belly buns ... try Momofuku :)

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Using pomegranates in ceviche, what a great idea.

Jamie Oliver does the most delicious scallop crudo with pomegranates at his fifteen restaurant. Something like sliced, raw scallop with a drop of fantod olive oil, pomegranate seeds, dried coconut and crisp ginger with a little yuzu juice. It is stunning...

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man