• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Wow, that's all I can say.

A very monochromatic dinner of pork shoulder roast braised in apple juice; caramelized apples and onions; roasted turnips and parsnips, and a cabbage slaw with caraway, allspice and cloves.

I made a start toward gnocchi with duck confit, but didn't finish it. Both components are tucked away in the freezer for future use.

Edited to move photo.

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

Crispy pork chops and pickled veg. This is my idea of "comfort food."

Jan202012002_cr.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

SodaAddict, I also like very much your eggs, bacon and sprouts!

I'm getting a little repetitive...husband obsessions. We had fried artichockes and anchovies

fried anchovies and artichockes.JPG

That looks great. Were those anchovies fresh or cured in salt? Once in a blue moon fresh anchovies show up in my fish market and the only thing I know to do with them is preserve them in salt. I'd love to have another way to use them because I love them and deep frying seems like it would be great.

Edited to add: one thing I like to do is if I'm using a lot of preserved anchovies at once, I like to fry the spines and eat them. Fried anchovy spines are great, and seems to be along the lines of what you're doing here.

Edited by Alcuin (log)

nunc est bibendum...

Lunch and dinner - kale, sausage and bean soup with a shot of yucateo hot sauce and corn bread crumbled on top. 637f2d8d-fbc0-70fb.jpg

I like it!

I immediately thought of two things: pizz e foje, a traditional dish from abruzzo of cooked polenta and baked like a small pizza eaten with vegetables. And secondly to the black sea corn bread. Oh, I almost forgot, "bordatino" from Toscany.

Maybe this is common also in the South of the US.

Tutto il mondo e' paese...not sure how to traslate. All the world is the same place?

That looks great. Were those anchovies fresh or cured in salt? Once in a blue moon fresh anchovies show up in my fish market and the only thing I know to do with them is preserve them in salt. I'd love to have another way to use them because I love them and deep frying seems like it would be great.

Edited to add: one thing I like to do is if I'm using a lot of preserved anchovies at once, I like to fry the spines and eat them. Fried anchovy spines are great, and seems to be along the lines of what you're doing here.

Oh, they are fresh! Usually here you find two prices of anchovies and generally I buy the better ones which are a little bigger.

I also eat the spine if they are small.

Many things to do with anchovies. Another way of frying them is to open them up, remove the spine and spread a filling an sandwich two of them and then dip in egg/flour and fry. Or to make layers of anchovies and potatoes, onions, garlic with topped with breadcrumbs and bake. I also like to substitute anchovies to sardines for "spaghetti con le sarde" but my husband doesn't like any of this stuff, he is a purist: food less manipulated as possible.

Salted anchovies are a condiment to me, I could not eat as much.

My version : Italian Cassoulet

6738302363_0aa6a1e8fc.jpg

Let me guess. You went the "cassoeula" way. With pork? Or goose? Cannot tell from the picture.

Tonight we had mussels and anchovies again. We overbought :laugh:

Edited by Franci (log)

Tutto il mondo e' paese...not sure how to traslate. All the world is the same place?

"The whole world is local," perhaps? A sentiment shared by certain grocers and restauranteurs. >_>

Anyway, was going to make terrine de foies de volaille (aka chopped liver), got lazy and made some breaded chicken livers instead. Maybe tomorrow.

Jan212012001_cr.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Thank you, heidih. Yes, panfried (skillet fried?), the coating is 1/3 cornstarch, 2/3 white flour, heavy on the spices.

I wish I could get duck and goose livers here. Even pork liver is not something you'll find in the local supermarkets.

We had grass-fed New Zealand fillet steaks, rare, with mashed spuds and champignons a la creme:

DCF00010.JPG

Obligatorily crappy cell-phone shot (camera battery dead again) includes the tip of my second finger at no extra charge.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Had an assortment of side dishes and my favorite beef cut all cooked sous vide. Tri-Tip Roast (128F @ 6 hours), Carrots with Toasted Onions (182F @ 1 hour) and Russet Potatoes (182F @ 3 hours). Accompanied by white rice cooked with duck fat and arugula salad.

photo-2.jpg