• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Candied Figs Please!!

Kim Shook

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience in making candied figs. A lovely friend gifted me with some fresh figs and some that she had candied herself. These are hers:

med_gallery_3331_122_151635.jpg

They are VERY chewy and dry/sticky, if that makes sense. We loved them so much that I decided to do the same with the fresh ones. These are mine:

med_gallery_3331_122_65625.jpg

:sad: I used this recipe. Mine are NOT chewy – they are pretty much as plump as when they started and very soft – good, but not what I wanted. My friend is traveling now, so I can’t ask her. What I’m wondering is if there is any way to fix them at this point? Or do I just have some really thick preserves? Thanks!

I'd start with 30 minutes and go from there in intervals of 15 until you've got the right texture. Basically from what you're showing and describing, the only difference between your figs and your friend's is that hers are less moist.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Kim,

I have had good luck drying them in either a dehydrator or an oven that is barely on. In the dehydrator, I used a setting of 140 F (60C). The key is low and slow with the drying and you will have some delicious figs. The smaller ones get very dry like your friend's. My sons like the bigger ones that are still a little moist in the center, but both are delicious. Hope this helps.

Thank so much for all the help, everyone! The combination of boiling in a sugar syrup and a LONG time in the dehydrator (stopping and 'squishing' often for just the right feel) resulted in these:

med_gallery_3331_114_8650.jpg

They turned out delicious and moist and chewy and all I wanted. They were big, fat figs and so good. I served them for afters at dinner last night with some Stilton and Brie and they were heavenly. Wish I had about 100 more!