• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Wasabi

DaveFaris

From what I'm reading online, real wasabi is Japanese horseradish (Wasabia japonica), and has a taste reminiscent of asparagus and artichokes.

The widely available fake wasabi is "western" horseradish (Armoracia rusticana, also known as Cochlearia armoracia) mixed with mustard, soy sauce, and green food coloring.

I'm probably going to have to order real wasabi online (which I hate to do, since it takes so long to receive it), because I can't think of any place around here in the hinterlands that would carry such an arcane product.  One person commented that some sushi restaurants will give you real wasabi for a "small upcharge".  I'll ask around, but I suspect that it is also unavailable in local restaurants.

The links that others cited above lead to articles about two companies (Frog Eyes Wasabi in Oregon, and British Columbia Wasabi) that are starting to grow a lot of real wasabi.  And it's the superior "sawa" kind, meaning that it's grown under natural conditions: in cool, running water, rather than in dirt.

Frog Eyes Wasabi is producing two varieties: Daruma (neon green, modest heat, slightly sweet) and Mazuma (darker with a purple ring inside, very hot and robust).

I'm really eager to try real wasabi on sushi and sashimi.  Off the top of my head, I'm kind of leaning towards the Mazuma, but any comments on this would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a more basic question: has anyone actually tried the real wasabi?  Before I order it, I'd like to hear from others about whether it really is superior to the western horseradish-Chinese mustard concoction - or is that just hype?

I also have a more basic question: has anyone actually tried the real wasabi?  Before I order it, I'd like to hear from others about whether it really is superior to the western horseradish-Chinese mustard concoction - or is that just hype?

I've only had it at high-end sushi palaces like Kurumazushi.

The typical stuff is a pale shadow of the real thing.

That being said, we don't know your palate. Before you go to the trouble of ordering it, you'll probably want to eat at places that do offer it. I don't know swestern New Jersey, so can't help you there.

I've only had it at high-end sushi palaces like Kurumazushi.

The typical stuff is a pale shadow of the real thing.

That being said, we don't know your palate. Before you go to the trouble of ordering it, you'll probably want to eat at places that do offer it. I don't know western New Jersey, so can't help you there.

I've called the 5 sushi restaurants within 10 miles of my house, and at all 5 I've just gotten underlings on the phone, and when I've left a message about wanting real wasabi, I've never gotten a call back from the owners.  I'm not surprised; this isn't Manhatten.

Do you know what KIND of wasabi you had?  From what I'm reading online, I guess it was either Daruma or Mazuma.  What did it look, smell and taste like?  How hot was it?  How long did the heat last in the mouth?  And was it a rhizome that was freshly grated at the table?  Or did it come as a paste in a tube?

I've called the 5 sushi restaurants within 10 miles of my house, and at all 5 I've just gotten underlings on the phone, and when I've left a message about wanting real wasabi, I've never gotten a call back from the owners.  I'm not surprised; this isn't Manhatten.

Do you know what KIND of wasabi you had?  From what I'm reading online, I guess it was either Daruma or Mazuma.  What did it look, smell and taste like?  How hot was it?  How long did the heat last in the mouth?  And was it a rhizome that was freshly grated at the table?  Or did it come as a paste in a tube?

It was a rhizome that was freshly grated. I almost never sit at tables when eating sushi; it's all about the interaction between you and the sushi chef, so my preference is to sit at the bar.

I don't know the kind, but the next time I eat at a place that offers it, I'll ask. That being said, you'll probably experience it sooner than I will.

I've had real wasabi several times, although I never thought to ask what type it was.  I didn't take a deliberate sniff of it, but I don't recall the smell being especially fragrant or pungent on the plate.  It looks similar to the fake putty-like stuff in color, but the real stuff has a bit more texture - like very well pureed applesauce when it's on the plate but not as wet.  It's always been grated for me at the time of service and it is my understanding that the flavor fades extremely quickly once it's grated.  I was told that after 10-15 minutes, the taste will be significantly muted from when it's first ground.  I feel that the taste is much more floral and has a complex quality to it.  For me, the heat comes harder, but dissipates much faster than the fake stuff.  

Beware that there are some places that serve "real" wasabi which may or may not actually contain real wasabi.  On more than one occasion, I have asked my server/sushi chef whether they had real wasabi, been told yes (sometimes for an upcharge), only to be served a green onion based sauce/paste.  In those scenarios, I generally receive about a teaspoon of chopped scallion greens in a salty, slimy sauce.  It tastes of wasabi (although I can't really see any in it because it's composed of almost all green onions and snot-like sauce) and seems to have some soy sauce, ginger, and other flavoring agents in it (possibly seaweed extract to boost the umami).  When I get served this product, it has always tasted pretty much the same and once I even saw the sushi chef squeeze out the sauce from an aseptic mylar-like pouch about the size of a single serving powder-based hot chocolate packet - which leads me to believe that it's a somewhat readily available institutional product for the food service industry.

Beware that there are some places that serve "real" wasabi which may or may not actually contain real wasabi.  On more than one occasion, I have asked my server/sushi chef whether they had real wasabi, been told yes (sometimes for an upcharge), only to be served a green onion based sauce/paste.

IMHO, not enough people know about the real/fake wasabi business that you get a useful answer. Instead, ask if they have "freshly grated" wasabi to get a much more reliable answer. Restaurants that serve real wasabi generally grate it in front of you as the show is as much part of it as the product.

PS: I am a guy.

• 2 weeks later...