• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Please!!?? West Side, upscale Italian, modern decor

markk

I'm trying frantically to remember the name of an Italian restaurant that's in mid-town west. possibly even the theater district, and has a very "cool" or "stark" interior, with large vertical blinds, and it's the creation of one of NYC's more famous Italian chefs. Can anybody help me? I ate there last a few years ago- and of course it may not be there now altogether.

(I want to say that it features a menu divided into "traditional" and "modern" versions of Italian dishes, but I can't say for sure that it does.)

THANKS! I'll know it when I hear it, so I'd appreciate all the help and suggestions I can get.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's