• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beat the Chefs

gfweb

On GSN. Three Food Network/Bravo type chefs compete against three home cooks and the winner gets 25K. Terrible TV and terrible cooking. There is no detail. No recipes. There is barely any cooking. WTF.

Shark-jumping to the max. I'm always reluctant to say someone sold out. But it'd take big bucks for ME to do this, and I have no culinary reputation to lose.

• 2 weeks later...

You're making me glad that I haven't gotten my DirectTV thingy fixed.

Chopped was the last straw for me. Let see what's in the basket: Leeks, pork chops and gummy worms.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I like Chopped. It's gotten a little stupid at times, but they've had some good challenges, too. The judges cooking against each other and that kind of thing.

I watched the finale of Extreme Chef and was so glad I hadn't wasted more time on it. If I hear one more judge talk about honoring ingredients and respecting the protein I'll scream. They're groceries, okay? Not sacred artifacts.

Problem I have with chopped is that a few of the judges are a-holes. Even Zakarian gets pissy.

Respect the protein indeed. Top Chef is the worst for that. Little Tommy goes nuts with that.

If I hear one more judge talk about honoring ingredients and respecting the protein I'll scream. They're groceries, okay? Not sacred artifacts.

Sometimes I wish we had a "like" button also. I'll scream with you.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Gayle. I'm very fond of her. But she dresses terribly. Terribly. Like a college kid trying to look grown up. You'd think Bravo would drag Tim Gunn in for a fast makeover. Rule of threes...right waistline...patterns.