• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Set Lunches/Dinners [Ireland]

Pilori

I just moved to Dublin for school and have been noticing here, and out in the country, that many places only offer a two or three course set meal with no ala carte menu. Is this normal here? Coming from the US this seems like a very foreign concept!

Depends on the restaurant of course, but it's certainly more prevalent at lunch since the recession took hold. My understanding is that margins are very tight at lunchtime so it's all about keeping costs down. I'm not in the business, so maybe others can chime in.

As for dinners, I haven't really experienced the set menu on such a widespread scale, or at least not without an a la carte option too. I certainly wouldn't consider it "normal" at dinner (outside of early-bird deals), so I wonder if you've just been unlucky? It's a while since I've been a student in Dublin, so I don't know where people eat these days! Have you noticed this in cheaper restaurants, more expensive restaurants, or across the board?