• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ras el Hanout

GlorifiedRice

So now that I figured out my Indian Spice Quest, Im looking tor an online source

or maybe a place near Philly that sells COMPLETE imported Ras Al Hanout with

ALL the ingrediients in it

Including the "youknowwhat"....

Anyone know of a place?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I don't think there's one "complete" or definitive method. What ingredients are you hoping it will have?

That said, why not just compile the "youknowwhat" and blend your own? "Mourad: New Moroccan" has one method -- took an afternoon or so for me to track down most of the ingredients, and some weren't available locally so had to mail-order. But, next time, I'll have them all.

Edited by Will (log)

For authenticity

Erm, the beetles that were sometimes traditionally used are the ones commonly used in Spanish Fly, and the effects of taking this range from mild urethral irritation, to severe, possibly fatal GI and UTI inflammation. The flavour and scent of the ground insects are described as unpleasant, and since the sale of this substance is illegal, you have no way of being certain of the actual nature and concentration of any blend allegedly containing it (you could also just be ripped off by paying a huge price for something that has not so much as a single beetle leg in it).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Do you say the same for those members here who eat Tonka Beans, Fugu, Kosari (the jury is still out on the tummy cancer claims) Cyclamates, Pot Brownies or Casu Marzu?

I believe that many things are made illegal in the USA for corporate greed and politics.

I dont eat a whole lot of Middle Eastern food, so Id be eating a tiny tiny bit...Like maybe 1 teaspoon in a whole year, I dont think thats gonna kill me. The amount of beetles in 1 teaspoon of Ras, is negligible right?

I just like to have the complete authentic products if possible

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Do you say the same for those members here who eat Tonka Beans, Fugu, Kosari (the jury is still out on the tummy cancer claims) Cyclamates, Pot Brownies or Casu Marzu?

I believe that many things are made illegal in the USA for corporate greed and politics.

I dont eat a whole lot of Middle Eastern food, so Id be eating a tiny tiny bit...Like maybe 1 teaspoon in a whole year, I dont think thats gonna kill me. The amount of beetles in 1 teaspoon of Ras, is negligible right?

I just like to have the complete authentic products if possible

I'm all for authentic experiences, but even before the ban on blister beetles in food, it was as traditional to make the blend without ground blister beetles, as with them, since there is no defining recipe for ras el hanout; the name means top [lit. 'head'] of the shop, the seller's special or 'best of' blend.

If you buy the beetle-augmented type, the seller is going to be operating outside any enforced standards, and can sell you any old crap and assure you it's 'authentic'. Sellers dealing in the un-beetled seasoning are going to have more at stake, in terms of authenticity and quality.

As an aside, these beetles are by no means rare (like ambergris), but indigenous pest species and a livestock hazard on several continents including North America, so US corporate greed/politics are unlikely to be at the bottom of this particular ban, particularly as it originated in Morocco in the 1990s.

Second, you risk being ripped off, which never feels good.

Since the stuff is illegal (regardless of whether this is 'fair' or 'right'), the people selling it to you may pull a fast one and charge you a small fortune for something that they say contains ground beetles, but doesn't (kind of like college freshmen getting stiffed for a bag of oregano, when they buy pot from someone they don't know).

Third, if the the sellers do include blister beetles in the mix, since they're operating outside enforced standards, the actual amount of ground beetle added could be enough to cause significant problems (because again, we're talking about not-at-all rare beetles, here, not platinum flakes or ambergris), even when small amounts of the seasoning are used.

Finally, yes, I would make similar points to someone having a go at fugu (although here, the bottom line is that if the preparer isn't really, really skilled, you may well end up dead... which does of course have the advantage that you won't be stuck with the dinner bill); the other things are unlikely to drop you dead in your tracks.

To be clear, I have no problem with eating invertebrates, or taking risks (if you you knew my life, you'd knw what I mean), it's just, well, don't get so hung up on the authenticity thing that you ditch your common sense. That's all.

And hey, if you still want blister beetles in the mix, you DO know that you can find these beetles yourself, in the wild, in the US (as I mentioned, they're a pest species)? Just saying...

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Finally, yes, I would make similar points to someone having a go at fugu (although here, the bottom line is that if the preparer isn't really, really skilled, you may well end up dead... which does of course have the advantage that you won't be stuck with the dinner bill); the other things are unlikely to drop you dead in your tracks.

OT, but I'm afraid this just undermines your position. Do you have any idea how heavily regulated the preparation of fugu is in Japan? Wikipedia (admittedly not always a reliable source) suggests there are less than 50 incidents of fugu poisoning per year - in a country of almost 130 million - and the fatality rate is only 6.8%. Most fatalities seem to arise from people preparing their own fugu catch. Your chances of dying of fugu poisoning from commercially prepared fugu are vanishingly small.

I didn't eat fugu when I was in Japan, even though I could have, but that's mostly because it's quite expensive, and reputedly not really all that tasty...

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

OT, but I'm afraid this just undermines your position. Do you have any idea how heavily regulated the preparation of fugu is in Japan? Wikipedia (admittedly not always a reliable source) suggests there are less than 50 incidents of fugu poisoning per year - in a country of almost 130 million - and the fatality rate is only 6.8%. Most fatalities seem to arise from people preparing their own fugu catch. Your chances of dying of fugu poisoning from commercially prepared fugu are vanishingly small.

I didn't eat fugu when I was in Japan, even though I could have, but that's mostly because it's quite expensive, and reputedly not really all that tasty...

I don't see that this undermines my position (that position being, 'Think').

I'm quite aware of the strict regulations surrounding the preparation of fugu in Japan (i.e. the chefs are carefully trained and really, really skilled), but as you pointed out, there are do-it-yourselfers, and (I'll try to find the article, although you may be familiar with the story) at least one idiot who somehow talked an unqualifed chef into preparing fugu (and died).

If a friend of mine in the US or the EU said they were going to go out and eat fugu, I would definitely point out that it would be a great idea to look into the chef's credentials; I'd rather have them think I was a neurotic freak than be unsure that they knew what was and should be involved.

Getting back to ras el hanout, if I was dead keen on having it with Spanish Fly, I'd first look into scoring some from a legit. pharmaceitical concern (if any even sell it), or harvest the beetles and process them myself to add to a part of a really well-created ras el hanout from a good spice dealer (frankly, since I've already travellled down the chemically-induced UTI road, I don't get the excitement over Spanish Fly, but everyone has their own idea of enjoyment).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Getting back to ras el hanout, if I was dead keen on having it with Spanish Fly, I'd first look into scoring some from a legit. pharmaceitical concern (if any even sell it), or harvest the beetles and process them myself to add to a part of a really well-created ras el hanout from a good spice dealer (frankly, since I've already travellled down the chemically-induced UTI road, I don't get the excitement over Spanish Fly, but everyone has their own idea of enjoyment).

Thats why I posted it on here, to see if anyone had any sources for authentic Ras el hanout

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Thats why I posted it on here, to see if anyone had any sources for authentic Ras el hanout

Any place that sells good quality North African/middle Eastern spices is likely to carry ras el hanout, or if you're in luck, prepare it for you. The question of what makes for 'authenticity' is usually complex; in the case of ras el hanout, a significant part of it is in the hands of the one who does the actual blending, determining what makes it 'top of the shop'.

I haven't tried any premixed ras el hanout, since I prefer to make my own mixtures of herbs and spices, but there are quite a few options online.

Kalustyan's (NYC) sells it from their online shop, and it's described as 'house brand': http://kalustyans.co...219&currpage=14.

I've seen Mustapha's (Seattle) recommended here and there: http://www.mustaphas...od&productId=45.

I've also seen it at Williams and Sonoma.

These blends won't contain blister beetle, since it's illegal to sell it pretty much everywhere in the world, but you will have a (I'd hope) lovely spice blend (if you decide to augment it, the ground beetles are described as having a 'disagreeable scent and bitter flavor', so you probably won't want to sacrifice the entire spice blend).

If you do find a legit. shop or online source selling blister beetles, try the stuff on your skin before you do anything else with it, since the principal compound, cantharidin, is used to remove warts and treat molluscum (a skin disease), and it can do quite violent things to living tissue; the stuff you find is Santeria shops is intended for burning, and may contain things to enhance burning, definitely not food safe.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Between them, GlorifiedRice and the blend described on To The Bones inspired me to experiment with ras el hanout this evening, and I can report that this particular blend makes a terrific addtion to pork-burgers; to look at, they were pale, non-hamburgers, but the scent of the combined spices did amazing things to the flavour. Might ratchet back a bit on the cinnamon, next time.

ETA, added the leftover teaspoonful or so to hot chocolate; the chili is intense, but this is definitely something to do again.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 4 years later...

Well, let's bump this up and see where it goes ...

I would like to play around with making this spice mixture.  Various sites on line have recipes, and they vary widely.  Certainly some of these mixtures could be a good starting place.  However, I'd like to get some suggestions here, where there may be some who have had hands-on experience blending their own mixtures.

Looking at the on line recipes, it seems as though I have many, if not most or all, of the more commonly referenced ingredients, and anything that's not here can surely be easily obtained.

All suggestions are welcome, including recipes with proportions, techniques, and, of course, some discussion.  Thanks!

... Shel

I have been making my own Ras El Hanout for years.

I have tried many "recipes" or blends with various proportions.  

One of the most important things is to buy whole spices and grind them yourself in small amounts because some that have

elusive secondary flavors, lose these within a couple of weeks.  Star anise is one such.

I order the whole spice blend from Spicetrekkers.com

Buying the individual spices whole - is very expensive because there is a long list.

I know, I have tried to order all the individual spices listed in a book of Moroccan cookery published in the 1960s which is almost identical to THIS RECIPE.  Finding the "guinea pepper berries was impossible and dried caper berries were non-existent as was the ash tree fruit.  

Incidentally, I have ordered some of the black peppers from this place - ones that Pepper Passion, my favorite vendor did not carry.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have been making my own Ras El Hanout for years.

I have tried many "recipes" or blends with various proportions.  

One of the most important things is to buy whole spices and grind them yourself in small amounts because some that have

elusive secondary flavors, lose these within a couple of weeks.  Star anise is one such.

I order the whole spice blend from Spicetrekkers.com

Buying the individual spices whole - is very expensive because there is a long list.

I know, I have tried to order all the individual spices listed in a book of Moroccan cookery published in the 1960s which is almost identical to THIS RECIPE.  Finding the "guinea pepper berries was impossible and dried caper berries were non-existent as was the ash tree fruit.  

Incidentally, I have ordered some of the black peppers from this place - ones that Pepper Passion, my favorite vendor did not carry.

Wherever possible and practical, I buy whole spices and grind or pulverize them before using.  And when buying spices, I  buy small amounts so when I use them, they are generally fresher.  Nothing worse than old, flavor-depleted spices.  That said, I may choose to buy some prepared Ras el Hanout spice mixes because of the often large number of spices incorporated into some blends, and buying several different blends will allow for easier comparisons. 

The links you provided are very helpful.  What I noticed is that some have prepared blends that include a great number of spices, more, and more interesting, than many blends and even the recipes I've discovered on line.  They seem to be a good way to learn about some of the blends.

In that vein, I discovered this online store  yesterday.  Here's the link to their listing for Ras el Hanout.

... Shel

I have some spices from Epicentre and a couple of blends.  

I think you will find the Spicetrekkers blend, which you can grind as you need, is very good.  You can, if you wish, add a bit of other spices to it, for a particular application.

I have toasted and added some black cardamom to the blend for a stew I make with goat meat. Goat meat is somewhat sweet and the addition of some black cardamom with its smokiness, elevates the flavor.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have some spices from Epicentre and a couple of blends.  

I think you will find the Spicetrekkers blend, which you can grind as you need, is very good.  You can, if you wish, add a bit of other spices to it, for a particular application.

Have you been satisfied with the Epicentre products?

So, you're saying that the spice blend from Spicetrekkers are whole spices that I'd grind as needed?  That's very nice.

... Shel

14 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Have you been satisfied with the Epicentre products?

So, you're saying that the spice blend from Spicetrekkers are whole spices that I'd grind as needed?  That's very nice.

I have Epicntre Herbes de Provence and the Peru spice blend, both were gifts and Aleppo pepper and Long pepper.  Frankly, I have not used the blends much.

Yes. The Ras-el-Hanout blend is whole spices just like in the photo.  I think they explain on one of the pages that their belief is that whole spices, ground just before use is very important.  I agree.  I rarely buy spices already ground.  Even cinnamon - and I have three different varieties, whole, I grind fresh, sometimes in large amounts if I am going to be doing a lot of baking in the next couple of week.

Same with nutmeg, allspice (I have a pepper grinder just for allspice), cloves, cardamom &etc.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

52 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Same with nutmeg, allspice (I have a pepper grinder just for allspice), cloves, cardamom &etc.

I like that idea for allspice, but the allspice berries that I have are considerably larger than peppercorns.  The allspice would not fit in my peppermill.  Do you use a certain type of grinder?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I like that idea for allspice, but the allspice berries that I have are considerably larger than peppercorns.  The allspice would not fit in my peppermill.  Do you use a certain type of grinder?

It's a small William Bounds grinder adjustable fine to coarse.  I set it on fine.  They are not cheap. The adjustable ones cost about $25.00 now but they last a very long time.  I've had this one for at least 15 years it's in a photo I took in 2001.

Not had a problem with the size of the allspice. 

HPIM9688.jpg

HPIM9687.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/24/2016 at 5:18 PM, andiesenji said:

It's a small William Bounds grinder adjustable fine to coarse.  I set it on fine.  They are not cheap. The adjustable ones cost about $25.00 now but they last a very long time.  I've had this one for at least 15 years it's in a photo I took in 2001.

Not had a problem with the size of the allspice. 

HPIM9688.jpg

HPIM9687.jpg

Darn it!

Now Ill have to find matching green spice grinders. lol

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!