• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Innomix Surya Mixer Grinder? A sturdy small wet/dry grinder?

loki

I am thinking of purchasing the Innomix Surya Mixer Grinder innoconcepts.com. I want it for grinding spices mainly, and it is very important that it has the ability to make quite small quantities (though I will use a mortar and pestle for really small amounts!). I have a Vitamix (older stainless model) that can make excellent and quick work out of a large quantity - two cups minimum - but will not work for small amounts. I make fresh masala's, curry pastes, and herb/vegetable/spice blends all the time - nearly twice a week, sometimes much more. I've burnt out ones made by Cuisinart and Revel (in another post I described this). So I need a really sturdy model. I like the concept of the stone grinders like the Ultra mix grinder, but these seem a little over the top for this use - though I may get one for making larger batches and for making masas and dosa/idli batters and such.

I saw on post saying the Surya Mixer was great - but it looked like it was a promotional post - from someone who sold them.

Let me know if you have one of these - or have other suggestions.

• 3 years later...

OK this is late, but I have used this appliance for a few years now.  I highly recommend it!  It's pretty sturdy, and can grind things to flour, or make really smooth liquids.  There is a small and large 'bowl', the smaller is better for dry items (though it can be used for wet), but the tall is not as good for dry items.  This is a great item for Indian spice mixes (garam masala etc.), and SE Asian curry pastes, etc.  Also great for making small amounts of 'flours' like corn flour from corn meal...  This is not an appliance to make coarsely grated things - it pretty much is designed to make pastes.

• Like 4