• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bubbledogs

The chicken skin with mascarpone, jam and bacon is one of the worst things I have eaten in any restaurants with ambition. That people in this thread and elsewhere considers this one of the most important openings in London the last few years says a lot about both the openings and the eaters.

Love it Gaston.

Admit that I haven't been to Bubbledogs and not likely to as I am not a fan of places that are "in". Even reading "chicken skin" on a menu would have me gagging as it is one of the things that I cannot bring myself to eat. I can eat pork scratchings and crackling, but any other skin, including fish (but excluding whitebait), has me reaching for the bucket.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

That people in this thread and elsewhere considers this one of the most important openings in London the last few years says a lot about both the openings and the eaters.

Indeed it does. In fact it tells us that merely doing something well is not only insufficient to get oneself noticed and hence generate the necessary trade, but also arguably detrimental. The UK restaurant scene is driven by novelty and gimmickry. Novelty is great since it goes out of its way to avoid comparison. Consequently, it often serves as a mask for mediocrity. Gimmickry is the food-writer's 'readymade'. Foie gras parfait is hard to write about, but if disguised as mandarin it becomes an unstoppable meme.

• 4 months later...

smashing place this is, there are endless burger places popping up in london and they are different, james and sandia have a cool place to eat and a serious place (kitchen table) out back, the hot dogs make the money and kitchen table does the proper food, have a read about james knappet and sandia chang (they have worked for noma, ramsey, wearing, williams, keller)

i cook, i sleep, i ride.