• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlantic? source of Katsuobushi (dried smoked bonito shavings)

Dr. Carl

I am seeking an Atlantic? source for Katsuobushi (dried smoked bonito shavings for dashi/stock) for Miso Soup. Wondering what I am REALLY looking for, I see this online: In Japan, Skipjack tuna = Katsuwonus pelamis.

ALSO KNOWN AS: Tuna, Ocean Bonito, Lesser Tuna, Aku

ATLANTIC SOURCE: U.S. wild-caught from New York to Florida

(I wonder if this is at all related to Atlantic bonito = Sarda sarda....some say these are "a type of mackerel"; now I am confused.)

What AM I looking for? In Japan they call it "Katsuo"!

Here in Seattle, I use Katsuo-bushi (dried, smoked, Bonito/mackerel shavings) to make dashi (broth) for my miso soup every day. My miso is made in North Carolina and that's pretty far from Japan. After reading some other posts here, I see that I really should try to find a brick of smoked bonito and make the shavings myself, yet, I don't have the contraption that makes the shavings...anyway....

I am looking for a source for the smoked fish shavings (or brick) that is as far away from Fukushima as possible. It may not be wise to consume Japanese sea foods at this time even though the governments and power companies say "everything is A.O.K." Perhaps someone on the East Coast of the USA who is using fish from the Atlantic could be found. That's what I am after.

I am also looking for Atlantic sources for kombu, wakame and nori. Still, without the bonito/mackerel, I'm lost...(what else could I use? prawns?) [skipjack tuna = Katsuwonus pelamis; Atlantic bonito = Sarda sarda]

Help?

Thank you in advance,

~drcarl

Edited by Dr. Carl (log)

We've talked about tuna varieties a few times - here for example, and that link'll get you to Fishbase too, if you've not been there before. The Japanese Wikipedia notes that it's made from "katsuo of the saba species, i.e. the mackerel family.

Sorry I can't help with sources. There's a nice picture sequence here.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Blether - thanks. The post you referred me to is a great education. At least now I know what I'm looking for. Katsuwonus pelamis aka Skipjack. I hope I can find someone in the US who processes katsuo in the proper/traditional way.

I'm profoundly saddened by the continuing disaster there. I wonder how you can remain in Tokyo. Even in Tokyo, if your shoes were brought to the US after walking around outside, they would qualify for special handling as hazardous waste. Where you are is just too close for comfort (in other words: insane) considering the continued readings which are hidden from the mainstream.

Regardless, thank you for the link! Love the database and other info. I hope you have miso every day since it's proven SO effective as being radio-protective, a cancer fighter, blood sugar normalizer, and SO much more.

Best,

Sir Chef Dr. Carl, DC, OCD, ADHD, PTSD, ETC, WTF, OMG, LOL