• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Manahattan serving Game

babern38

I was hoping someone may offer some suggestions of places serving more unusual game on their menus on a regular basis. I'm looking for elk, venison, kangaroo, etc.

I've heard about Resto and been interested in trying it, but their group dining is really the only option to get them to offer more exotic items.

Thanks.

Eight Mile Creek, an Australian restaurant on Mulberry Street, has kangaroo available as a standard menu item.

Gordon Ramsey usually has venison in one way, shape or form, and I'm sure it can be found around town at various places. Elk, not so much.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

going old-school:

The Four Seasons would be the classic, they've had their own game estate upstate since the early '60s.

Henry's End in Brooklyn Heights, an underrated restaurant, if it's still there, had excellent game and I believe specializes in it.

[edit: I'd avoid Resto. I live in the neighborhood, and I find it unbearable and overrated.]

Edited by patrickamory (log)

Henry's End is still there and we go at least monthly for years now (25 or so... we're old). We were just there a couple of nights ago eating soft shells, duck and King Salmon... all good. He (Mark, the owner and chef) has a game menu that starts late fall and runs thru the winter. Once the game menu starts they always have elk chops and rotate other game items in and out depending on availability. I've had kangaroo there several times, as well as ostrich, wild duck and boar. Less exotic but there's usually rabbit, turtle soup and venison on the menu as well. Excellent domestic wine list at very reasonable prices.

Edited by Steve R. (log)