• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego public market

The project has well exceeded its kickstarter funding goal of $ 92k, and therefore it looks like we will have a public market in San Diego in the very near future. More details about the project here, here and here (for updates). It's quite exciting.

Founders Catt White and Dale Steele quote La Boqueria and Granville Island market as their inspiration, which sets the bar quite high!

This is great news. I hope they will have a successful launch.

Do you know if it's near any trolley stops? They didn't list the address. They mention Petco Ballpark and the harbor in their Kickstarter pitch. I know Petco has trolley stops and there's a trolley line that goes right past the Convention Center. It would be so convenient if it were near a trolley line. I could imagine my mom, who lives in Santee, easily hopping on the trolley and coming down to the market.

Thanks for the update.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Do you know if it's near any trolley stops? They didn't list the address. They mention Petco Ballpark and the harbor in their Kickstarter pitch. I know Petco has trolley stops and there's a trolley line that goes right past the Convention Center. It would be so convenient if it were near a trolley line. I could imagine my mom, who lives in Santee, easily hopping on the trolley and coming down to the market.

Thanks for the update.

You are very welcome, Toliver.

The address is listed as 1735 National Avenue (National avenue & Beardsley), so it's accessible with the trolley.

Here is their brand new website for more information: http://sandiegopublicmarket.com/

Thank you for the address. I Googled it and Google Street-viewed it, as well as looked at the satellite view. The location is a little odd. The neighborhood is quasi-residential (near Barrio Logan). Unless they also buy the property next door and make it a parking lot, there's not much parking available for customers who will drive to the location.

I am looking forward to the transformation.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thank you for the address. I Googled it and Google Street-viewed it, as well as looked at the satellite view. The location is a little odd. The neighborhood is quasi-residential (near Barrio Logan). Unless they also buy the property next door and make it a parking lot, there's not much parking available for customers who will drive to the location.

Toliver,

There are a few houses and apartments there, but it's primarily light industrial/warehouses. The shipyards and commercial port are a few blocks away. It's near Las Cuatro Milpas.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an alley that runs in back of the property. There is a rather large lot off the alley that is being used as their parking lot, complete with attendent. Yesterday was their first day in business for the farmers market. Feedback I heard was all pretty good. Lots of the usual farmer suspects from Catt's other marekts.

• 5 months later...

Has anybody attended the Taste of the Market event earlier this month? There is another event coming up next month that I am going to attend as a kickstarter support since I was not able to attend the first one. There are tickets available for sale here.

• 10 months later...