• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamilton Beach 33967 Slow Cooker problem - turns off

bonkboo

Had some issues with my cooker today. Plugged it in and set it for desired power level and time. 10 minutes later is was off. Tried again. Same problem. Switched outlets, same issue. Sometimes it doesn't turn on at all.

Has anyone else experienced this with this model? Or any other? Is there an easy fix or should I just chuck it? And replace? With? This is the second slow cooker that we've had die on us. I'm currently borrowing my neighbors that she has had for longer than she can remember.

Had some issues with my cooker today. Plugged it in and set it for desired power level and time. 10 minutes later is was off. Tried again. Same problem. Switched outlets, same issue. Sometimes it doesn't turn on at all.

Has anyone else experienced this with this model? Or any other? Is there an easy fix or should I just chuck it? And replace? With? This is the second slow cooker that we've had die on us. I'm currently borrowing my neighbors that she has had for longer than she can remember.

Sounds like there might be an internal short - I have a handy hubby - so I'd get him to attempt to fix it. But barring that I'd probably hit a thrift store and find yourself one like your neighbours - old and well loved. They usually cook at lower temperatures which is preferable in my opinion.

This is not a new problem for that cooker or unique to yours. See the following review that was posted in 2010 for this cooker

:

"The only thing that gave me pause was that many of the negative reviews all stated the exact same problem, which was that the cooker would sometimes switch itself completely off for no reason. This of course was a very big concern."

Why not just return it for a refund and find another as Kerry suggested? We had a different brand that burned itself out on the second use and I returned it for a refund. Currently have a Rival purchased at Costco which we are very satisfied with over several years.

Kay

My expensive All-Clad did the same thing after an hour. Of course we had gone out and it sat too long at a low temp, so I tossed it. As much as I liked it, I need to be able to trust my slow cooker, so I returned it and got the Cuisinart Multi-Cooker. Both are W-S exclusives. It runs hotter than the manual says it should, (low is 209F) but so far the food has been fine.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs