• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Octoberfest options

I will be hosting the month homebrewers meeting in October, which will feature many german beers. I need some ideas of what snacks to serve that are vegetarian. Right now, I am considering some freshly baked pretzels, rye bread, and to scare and annoy people... Currywurst using Tofurky brats and a jar of pickled herring. Any thoughts out there? What about cheeses?

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Some of the people coming will bring their homebrews for blind peer review using nationally recognized beer judging standards. Commercial beers will also be brought for social consumption and inspiration for future brews. As host, my main job is to provide a small spread and be the beer wench. I am also planning on making an apfelkugel or other apple desserts as they will be in season.

Dan

Potato salad is a good idea. I also have a recipe from Mark Bittman for beer braised potatoes with (Tofurky) kilbasa, cheddar, and horseradish. Tempting, but I don't want to make too many fancy dishes and overhost the meeting.