• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NiEggara Fest 2012

Kerry Beal

Sunday was a gorgeous day at the Hernder Estates Winery - site of the 2012 NiEggarafest - the Big Green Egg fest put on by my Big Green Egg dealer.

SETTING UP.jpg

AnnaN and I asked for the use of 2 BGE's and spent the week preparing - we hoped to impress folks with what we were able to produce on the egg.

We started the morning with a breakfast bread pudding - chunks of dried country bread, broccoli, onion, mushrooms and cheddar held together with a custard containing well blended cottage cheese and sour cream.

DSCN0466.jpg

Next up - Not Cinnamon Buns - rolls containing Macadonian green pepper and eggplant spread, some cream cheese, garlic and cheddar shreds.

NOT CINNAMON ROLLS.jpg

Next we did the Momofuku pork buns - didn't get a picture - too busy with the assembly.

DSCN0471.jpg

After this - some naan with a La Bomba dip. I was making the naan the same day as the steamed buns - put the dough in the fridge to retard it - apparently it didn't retard a whole lot.

NAAN BREAD1.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

Then some kimchi pancakes - they were a big hit.

KIMCHI PANCAKES3.jpg

Pork tenderloin in a thai coconut dip.

THAI PORK 2.jpg

We finished off with dried figs, stuffed with dark chocolate and walnuts - roasted for a few minutes to make the chocolate nice and melty. Didn't get a picture.

I want recipes for everything! Especially the pork in coconut.

Yum!

http://leitesculinaria.com/81453/recipes-thai-grilled-pork.html

There you go.

Can't remember how to do the link! Sorry. This is the only recipe I did so I am sure Kerry will help out with the rest.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One at a time -

Breakfast Bread Pudding - this made 2 containers

1 1/2 loaves good country bread - sliced and dried in oven at low temperature until crunchy

1 head broccoli - cut up and steamed until tender

2 large onions - large chunks steamed until tender

1 lb mushrooms - sauteed

12 large eggs

16 ounces cottage cheese

16 ounces sour cream

16 ounces milk

seasoning to include salt, pepper, onion powder

3 cups grated old cheddar

Break up the bread, put the cottage cheese in the blender until smooth, add eggs, milk, sour cream and seasoning. Mix chunks of bread with vegetables and about half the cheese. Pour over custard. Let sit several hours or overnight. Sprinkle with remaining cheese before baking for about 45 minutes until browned and bubbly at about 400 F.

The pork looks easy -- and delicious.

How many servings does that savoury bread pudding make? Sounds like a good item for potluck brunches.

It's a big batch - we probably served 50 but small sized servings at this venue.

Here is one variation of the buns. This year I used some Malidzano - a Macadonian green pepper and eggplant spread in place of the bourbon bacon jam. I added a couple of finely minced garlic cloves to the cream cheese.

Not Your Father's Cinnamon Buns

• 3 large eggs
  • ¾ cup buttermilk, 190 grams
  • ¼ cup sugar, 50 grams
  • 1 ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 ¼ tsp instant yeast
  • 4 ¼ cups flour, 595 grams
  • 6 tbsp melted butter
  • 4 ounce package cream cheese, beaten to lighten
  • 1 bottle bourbon bacon jam
  • 1 cup grated old cheddar

1.Prepare 13 by 9 inch metal baking pan by oiling, rubbing with shortening or spraying with pan spray.

2.Mix all ingredients down to flour, knead together until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.

3.Cover and let rise until doubled - about 2 to 1/2 hours.

4.Roll out dough into a 16" by 12" roll. Spread with beaten cream cheese, top with bourbon bacon jam, sprinkle with cheddar and roll up, sealing edge with a bit of water.

Cut into 12 pieces and place in the prepared baking pan.

5.Cover and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.

6.Preheat egg to about 350 F dome temperature with plate setter legs up, rack on legs, and pizza stone on rack.

Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bread is 180 F.