• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cottage Cheese – How do you enjoy it?

The only way I ever eat cottage cheese is exactly the way my father ate it: mixed with a small amount of sour cream (I use Fage or Mexican crema which I have on hand more often) and combined with sliced radishes and cubed cukes. With salt and pepper.

Savory here. In order to kid us kids to eat it, my mom would add sliced black olives. As we got older, she's use the stuffed green olives. Today that's about the only way I'll eat it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Favorite way is to stuff half a canned pear with cottage cheese to overflowing on a bed of lettuce Mix some Mayo and peanut butter and spoon some over the cottage cheese. It's hard not to eat all the cottage cheese and dressing first.

I guarantee you''ll like it.

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

How ever I'm in the mood for it. I love cottage cheese with canned fruit and a drop of vanilla (maybe), or seasoned with Old Bay with lemon and garlic, or mixed with tuna, oe eaten with beautiful ripe tomatoes, oe with leftover pie filling... You get the idea, I hope. See what looks good, then add cottage cheese! Darn, I wish I had some apple pie filling, now, and maybe a Ritz... :blush:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We use the dry curd cheese as a filling for vareniki...

With the creamed version, I like to puree it and use it as a base for dips. I don't like just eating it as is because of the texture.

I am, however, going to try it this week in a spicy curry as suggested above - thanks for the great idea!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I seldom eat cottage cheese now, but my childhood memories are wonderful. With my Papa (Mother's Father), a bowl of cottage cheese, sour cream, pumpernickel (I mean REAL pumpernickel) and salt and pepper. :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Favorite way is to stuff half a canned pear with cottage cheese to overflowing on a bed of lettuce Mix some Mayo and peanut butter and spoon some over the cottage cheese. It's hard not to eat all the cottage cheese and dressing first.

I. Don't. Think. So.

Mom's Noodles and Cheese

1 pkg wide egg noodles - good quality eggy-flavored noodles are ideal

Cottage cheese (I prefer large curd, full fat, additve-free)

butter

fresh ground black pepper (optional, not in Mom's repertoire)

Cook noodles. Put some butter in the warm pot while noodles are draining, add the noodles back to the pot, turn heat up to med or so, and add a little more butter if needed. Add as much cottage cheese as you like, stir to mix with noodles and butter enough to warm the cheese to your preference and coat the noodles, season to taste with some pepper and serve on pastel-colored Melmac plates or in bowls.

You could add a little blue cheese, sprinkle with some Parmesan, or maybe add ahint of fresh ground nutmeg, some lemon zest ... lots of interesting additions can be made.

... Shel

At gunpoint. My mother served cottage cheese for lunch three times a week, and I swore that when I was all grown up I'd never eat it again.I haven't.

Carry on.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

With sour cream, sliced scallions, and some Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Seasoned Pepper. Mix, let sit for a day for the flavors to blend/mellow. Yummy.

Or as a filling for pierogies, with raisins and cinammon mixed in.

The thought of sweet cottage cheese makes me sort of queasy.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Mom's Noodles and Cheese
Mine called it Creamettes and Cottage Cheese.

My Mom tossed cooked Creamette's elbow macaroni with butter and salt and made a bed of it in a bowl. Then she'd spoon the cold cottage cheese in the center and let us mix them a mouthful at a time. Of course, after awhile, you mixed it all together. Did and still do, especially when I'm in That Mood. May try some pepper next time.

Mom's favorite was called Farmer's Chop Suey and called for lots of diced vegetables like radish, cuke, tomato, green pepper, etc. mixed with cottage cheese. I believe she put pepper on that.

I also believe I'll be making it soon!

Edited by hsm (log)

I rediscovered it recently when I opted for a small bowl with an egg white/spinach/mushroom "omlette". They inadvertently gave me a saucer of nicely spiced house made salsa alongside. I piled the salsa on top and really enjoyed it. I like Trader Joe's cottage cheese. I also enjoy it stirred into piping hot roasted red pepper and tomato soup as well as stirred into noodles with sauted vegetables. Lots of black pepper and snipped fresh herbs perk it up nicely. For a quick snack/meal I sprinkle on some Cajun seasoning and have it alongside quartered home grown tomatoes. I don't care for it sweetened up in any way though I will eat some melon alongside, but the cc has to be sprinkled with a savory seasoning. In the hot applications it sort of melts and gets a bit stringy with just a clean milky flavor.

Except for the peanut butter, that was one of my mom's favorite "salads". I still kind of like it -- something about the mayo, canned pear and cottage cheese combo that's intriguing...

Otherwise, savory all the way. Either plain or with green onions. All my mom's side of the family put pineapple bits in the cottage cheese and it looked and tasted like upchuck to me. (Sorry!)

Also, the only cottage cheese I'll eat is the creamy small curd and then only the brands that are tangy. Large curd or dry is yucky.