• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Affordable small centrifuge

Chris Hennes

The price is great but he is right about low speed, low volume and difficulty separating stuff. Of the three faults, the low volume is probably the biggest. Those tubes look to be about 15 cc, so it'd take ages to spin down enough liquid for two bowls of soup.

Having said that, I want one.

If you are really wanting to use a centrifuge in the kitchen, I'd go for a used one at a place like LabX. You can get something that has horizontal separation, which is cleaner than fixed angle, and has a much larger capacity. Something used by soil scientists to separate out particle sizes would probably be perfect, and considering how you like to play with gadgets, you can also get a refrigerated one to keep stuff from heating up if you need to spin at higher speeds or for longer times. Clean the thing out, buy sterile containers, and you're good to go.

Edited to say, he worries about "major decontamination" issues, but it's easy enough to check the history of something (you probably don't want a medical or vet one), and you can use closeable, sterile tubes or vials for your food.

Edited by lperry (log)

What would you use a centrifuge for...I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to things like this, what is the effect your looking for on your food?

It's possible to extract flavorings or oils from some unusual sources - pistachio oil, for example. Alternately, I've seen folks blend peanuts or other unusual ingredients with liquor, then centrifuge out the oils and solids.