• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the WORST wine you've ever tasted?

Rebel Rose

Ew. You are all officially grossing me out. Although ... I have to say that box wine has been the least of my experiences. Mostly, it's been home winemaker efforts. I've had the craps, the runs, cramps, explosive vomiting, and hallucinations from 'tasting' the next American Idol Winemaker efforts.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Ew. You are all officially grossing me out. Although ... I have to say that box wine has been the least of my experiences. Mostly, it's been home winemaker efforts. I've had the craps, the runs, cramps, explosive vomiting, and hallucinations from 'tasting' the next American Idol Winemaker efforts.

The first four I can understand and certainly would want to avoid, but hallucinations? Think maybe some ergot found its way into the wine? (Not sure how it'd do that, since it infects only grasses and some grains, iirc, but given the first four symptoms, who knows?)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The first four I can understand and certainly would want to avoid, but hallucinations? Think maybe some ergot found its way into the wine? (Not sure how it'd do that, since it infects only grasses and some grains, iirc, but given the first four symptoms, who knows?)

All right, all right, I was exaggerating. :raz:

Although, an overabundance of copper sulfate can induce hallucinations. I've just never really known if it was the copper or the alchohol.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I was visiting my dad on Thanksgiving. He's not much of an alcohol drinker, when it comes to wine he'll have a small glass of white zinfandel on a holiday. I offered to pick up some wine for dinner and was told that someone already was bringing wine. Perfect.The dinner guests arrived and the person responsible for wine brought her favorite: Thunderbird.

080709_cheap_booze_05.jpg

To quote BumWine.com:

Thuderbird is Vinted and bottled by E&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA. Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd." If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you. Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird. As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower. The undisputed leader of the five in foulness of flavor, we highly discourage driking this ghastly mixture of unknown chemicals unless you really are a bum.
Edited by jorach (log)

I was visiting my dad on Thanksgiving. He's not much of an alcohol drinker, when it comes to wine he'll have a small glass of white zinfandel on a holiday. I offered to pick up some wine for dinner and was told that someone already was bringing wine. Perfect.The dinner guests arrived and the person responsible for wine brought her favorite: Thunderbird.

Wow, I've always thought that Thunderbird was an urban legend. Nothing I can mention can compete with that.

OK. Let's see how many professional winos are in the house. (No Googling allowed.)

1) What's the word?

2) How's it sold?

3) What's the jive?

4) What's the price?

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

OK. Let's see how many professional winos are in the house. (No Googling allowed.)

1) What's the word?

2) How's it sold?

3) What's the jive?

4) What's the price?

Thunderbird

Good and cold

I forget

Thirty twice

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Normally I stay away from drinking wine in a club because of how awful and cheap it normally tastes, but one time I did buy some because it was the cheapest thing on the menu and it was soooo disgusting. I actually gipped every time I sipped it and it took me ages to swallow it. I didn't want to throw it away because I couldn't afford a different drink :laugh:

Massive fan of Italian cuisine!

• 3 weeks later...

No question.....a vile concoction sold at convenience stores everywhere known simply as 'Thunderbird'. An acquaintance brought some by the house once. As he began to unscrew the top, my cat arched her back and hissed. Dark clouds began to gather outside, and an evil presence prevailed. When he uncapped the bottle, the cat took off, and all the houseplants died...even the plastic ones. A smell similar to a mummy's tomb permeated the atmosphere, and there was a wisp of greenish smoke coming out of the bottle. I didn't know if we were supposed to drink it, or make three wishes.

After just one sip, my taste-buds were completely unconscious, and I was sure I had just been embalmed while still alive. As soon as I could move again, we buried the bottle in the back yard, deep. To this day, there is a spot in the yard where nothing grows, not even weeds.....

Bon apetit :smile:

My mother would like me to add something called 50/50 that was available for something like 69 cents a bottle, in Ontario in the 60s and 70s. She says that it was always "best" (although that's totally a relative term) to look for darker coloured liquid in the bottles, as it was slightly less noxious that way. I understand it to have been the dregs from the kegs of Baby Duck and Blue Nun, mixed at about 50% each.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

1) What's the word?

2) How's it sold?

3) What's the jive?

4) What's the price?

OMG, totally missed this the first time 'round.

What's the word? Thunderbird!

How's it sold? Good and cold

What's the jive? Bird's alive!

What's the price? Thirty twice.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm hoping it isn't this Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Blend Cab Sav that I bought for $2.99 today. :blush: I'll find out while watching the "Layover."

Worst experience was in boarding school. It was Riunite. It was Red. I woke up on the floor under someone's bed.

I'm hoping it isn't this Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Blend Cab Sav that I bought for $2.99 today. :blush: I'll find out while watching the "Layover."

Worst experience was in boarding school. It was Riunite. It was Red. I woke up on the floor under someone's bed.

Better than waking up on the floor under someone!

• 10 months later...