• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there a Polish Deli/Supermarket in Seattle

A poor, little, Polish girl can't make it home to Chicago for the holidays (okay, you're smart cookies - it's me). I'm bummed to say the least, but determined to make a traditional Polish Christmas eve dinner for myself and a few equally wayward friends.

The problem is, I need to find some specific "central/Eastern European" ingredients. In Seattle, of all places.

Keeping in mind, that I hail from Chicago (the second largest Polish city outside of Warsaw; and the only city in the U.S. of A. with the daily paper in a Polish edition), where there is a Polish deli/supermarket in every neighborhood - I'm lost in our town!

Help, anyone know of one in the area (or even a day-trip would work). Thanks!

P.S. A Polish Christmas dinner is one I think e-gulletiers would enjoy. It generally lasts from about 3pm 'till 11:30, and is always at least 12 courses. By the end of the dinner, you're full, happy, and toasty tipsy - the perfect condition for walking in the snow to midnight mass. :rolleyes:

No idea. But you might want to try tracking down the Polish Home Association for references.

Dom Polski Zaprasza. (<- that's an article in the stranger)

Edit: Seems there are a bunch of interrelated orgs. i can't read this. try here instead

What specifically are you looking for? People here may have seen specific ingredients.

Edited by mb7o (log)

I wish I could help you LainerX, being Polish myself, I would love to get some authentic Polish items like kielbasa! My Grandfather recently sent me some authentic Polish kielbasa and it was mind blowing! Luckily now that I know what it is supposed to taste like, I can now make it myself.

Had you posted this earlier, I could have made you some kielbasa as well! Unfortunately though, I had some equipment problems and 2/3 of the batch was ground too finely but the taste was pretty close. When my mother smelled the bag I brought for Christmas she said "Oh my word! It reminds me of when I was a little girl! My Grandparents house smelled JUST LIKE THIS!"

If you come to Nightscotsman's party on New Year's Eve, I'll be bringing some of my kielbasa if you'd like to try it. Good luck finding your ingredients!

Actually there is one, however I can't remember the name.....

It's on Madison, across the street from the Sorrento. I'll try to come up with the name....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...

The place is called George's Delicatessen and is at 907 Madison. I can't personally vouch for it, but a Polish priest I know says its good....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

FWIW, there's an eastern European deli on Northup Way (NE 20th Street) in Bellevue. It's between the McDonald's and the BMW dealer. Actually, it's right across the street from the BMW dealer on the same side of Northup Way.

I can't find them in the yellow pages (hard copy and Web site). :sad:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

The place you're thinking of is probably the "European Gourmet Cafe & Deli". Where "European" means Russian. There's also russian deli/grocery in Crossroads ("From Russia with Love, 1424 156th NE" other side of the parkinglot from westernco donut) and 148th/Main in the shopping center where the K-Mart used to be ("International Deli"). I believe something food related is going into the old K-Mart--Costco's grocery experiment, perhaps?

All of them are a decent choice for buying a sandwhich, russian or some other eastern european groceries or fish or meats or sweets, and sometimes Israeli items depending on who runs the place.

Here's an interesting list:

Bulgarian Food in Seattle

Edited by mb7o (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I just got back from Warsaw and you'll be happy to know that I managed to smuggle some Polish Mushrooms thru customs (shhhhh....). I'll make authentic Polish mushroom soup next week.

That just might be as close as I'll come to authentic Polish dining in Seattle.

Warsaw is an incredible city. The food is amazing and SO cheap.

Tee hee, Klink - I was gonna tell you that I had had homemade kielbasa for breakfast (yes, breakfast) every morning while I was there.

They boiled it for a long while to liquidize some of the fat, and then crisped the casings up by frying them up in some rendered bacon fat in a giant frying pan. YUM.

I don't think I've eaten so much in my life.

• 4 weeks later...

Klink and I gave George's a try for lunch today and came away quite satisfied. I had what they called a sausage sandwich, which was piled with a very thinly sliced soft variety of sausage that I couldn't exactly identify, but it was tasty. Herr Colonel had a liverwurst sandwich that I will let him expound upon. We also sampled their bratwurst, which got the Klink seal of approval. The store has quite a variety of Polish products, most of which I wouldn't have any idea how to use. The only drawback as a lunch destination is that there's no seating to be had. We ended up dining al fresco in Freeway Park.

I was quite happy with the liverwurst sandwich which is very reminescent of braunswieger (sp?). I ordered it on French bread with mayo and mustard. It came with shredded lettuce, cucumber and some other stuff I can't remember at the time. Very cool shop! They have a little deli there with some standard turkey, corned beef and pastrami but I would not have anything of that. I ordered some kielbasa to go and I'm very impressed, they sell the real deal! The texture was perfect and it had a light smokiness to it though I would prefer some more pepper and more garlic. Nevertheless, it is the best kielbasa in Seattle (that I know of).

• 1 month later...

I dropped in today to pick up some kielbasa for my Easter Soup this weekend (too much on my hands to make it myself :sad: ) but I don't feel that bad since George's kielbasa is very authentic.

Since I was a little peckish, I picked up a corned-beef half sandwich which was quite servicable. I'm a fan of their may/mustard combo though I would like some pickle on it. Can't wait to go back for more!

edit: I forgot to mention that they smoke all of their sausages themselves. I talked to George's kid (well, I'm assuming, all he said was "my parents") and he said that they used to smoke their sausage at home but it eventually turned into their own shop.

Edited by col klink (log)

A poor, little, Polish girl can't make it home to Chicago for the holidays (okay, you're smart cookies -  it's me)...

The problem is, I need to find some specific "central/Eastern European" ingredients.  In Seattle, of all places.

Keeping in mind, that I hail from Chicago (the second largest Polish city outside of Warsaw; and the only city in the U.S. of A. with the daily paper in a Polish edition), where there is a Polish deli/supermarket in every neighborhood - I'm lost in our town!

What, you don't get Dziennek Chicagoski out there in Seattle? You should pack up and return to Chicago immediately. :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

What, you don't get Dziennek Chicagoski out there in Seattle?    You should pack up and return to Chicago immediately.  :laugh:

Help a Polish ex-pat a couple generations removed out, what's Dziennek? I assume the Chicagoski would be the Chicago version right?

• 2 years later...

European Foods

13520 Aurora Ave N

Seattle, WA 98133

206-361-2583

www.europeanfoods.net

Lots of videos, smoked fish, cured meats including bear salami (mostly from NJ and Canada), cheese, some pastry and cakes, fresh blintzes, canned and jarred foods from Poland and the Ukraine and elsewhere, candies (assorted, individually wrapped - really fun wrappers and some really good fillings) and chocolates, lunch during the week...oh, also some wines.

Here's a list of places that sell Polish items in the Seattle area:

http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/652776809/fetch/528686

Also, if you're looking for a Polish food fix...stop on by the Polish Home Association on Friday nights. Perogi, stuffed cabage, etc. Keep an eye on the calendar for their bazaars where lots of rare food finds are available.

http://www.polishhome.org/

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy