• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grouse in the UK: Where?

Man

Lucky you :smile:

We were in London last weekend (and this) and dined at Racine. Henry Harris had his order of grouse down for delivery on Monday 14th just two days after we ate there, which was poor timing on our part.

For some reason I am not chasing Grouse this weekend but a few places have it available, including Racine of course. Next time we are down we will chase some down. Pricing should be quite a bit cheaper than what they are now as well :wink:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I usually leave it until September. I was going to say game in the height of summer just feels wrong to me, but fortunately summer isn't reaching any heights this year! There are rumours of 30C in London today. I can assure you that weather hasn't hit Wales.

Always eaten at home because 1) I can roast a bird pretty well myself. 2) I don't know of anyone in south Wales who servers it. 3) I can afford much better Burgundy at home :-)

Golden plums, foie gras and bitter leaves ( possibly chard).

It wasn't hung too long so was quite light but very tasty. I do have a pic or two but my phone is a pain in the arse so will add more another time.

Martin

I'm shocked at how soon some of these restaurants were serving Grouse. The first shoot of the season was on Monday 13th and some places had them ready to serve on the 14th!?!? For me one day isn't long enough. I did have Grouse at Arbutus, it was served with wild blueberries and its offal on toast. It was very good not the strongest grouse I've had but nice enough (the offal was especially good), the wild blueberries were a first for me and they worked well.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Popped into Arbutus today, had grouse with wild blueberries or bilberries, same fruit I think? Not too gamey but still a cracking bird, toast with added foie gras and Armagnac, modern and classic at the same time, really stunning and a bargain under £20.

My favourite was always the Grill Room at the Savoy (pre modernisation). This year I've tried the Arbutus offering which was good quality, excellent value and not to gamey (which is good from my point of view).

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first today in The Kitchin in Edinburgh and it was superb. Tom Kitchin really is a master of seasonal, rustic fare with big flavour.

Thanks, good to know, the Kitchin is relatively near my neck of the woods, and one of my favourites. There is something Koffmannesque in his style.

Looking forward to my next Edinburgh trip...(though right now, writing from Southern Spain, grouse seems a very distant concept indeed!).

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first today in The Kitchin in Edinburgh and it was superb. Tom Kitchin really is a master of seasonal, rustic fare with big flavour.

I went yesterday. The (Borders) grouse was good and deep flavoured in Kitchin's style, but I was disappointed by two things. First, if you advertise lingonberries in a dish, you've got to put in a meaningful quantity. Second, a place that makes so much of its 'from nature to plate' philosphy is the last one I woud have expected not to include offals in the dish. :smile: When we pointed this out to the waiter, he said that Kitchin does it the way Koffmann does. An extremely unfortunate lie, given that we are Koffmann's devotees and have very vivid memories of the crusty bread with the lovely offal on which his grouse was resting. He also said that Kitchin finds the taste of offals too strong. Mmmmmm....

Apart from these niggles the meal was good to very good as always. The service was underwheming however - it was one of the (rare) occasions when Kitchin was absent and there was a general air of not-on-the-ballness.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're quick you can have grouse in Caernarfon this weekend at Oren, 26 Hole in The Wall Street, 01286 674343 - just over the road from the castle.

I've been meaning to post information about Oren for months - what other restaurant changes its menu every week, charges £15 for three courses, £12 for a bottle of wine and has a reading group? I declare an interest; I supply them with bread - only six loaves a week so this post is unlikey to benefit me greatly.

The menu taken from the restaurant's email to customers:

"This week sees another diversion from Oren basics, as the price for the set menu will be £18.50!. Dont worry, it is for one week only and it is to do with the price of the grouse. It is the end of the short grouse-season, and I have ordered some straight from Scotland. Hence a menu otherwise heavily influenced by honey and whisky.

27/28/29 September: The Famous Grouse Menu

Duck & Celery Soup

Lentil & Whiskey Pate

Honeyed Grouse on Toast

Curried Mussels with Cauliflower

Honey Roasted Squash with Wild Mushroom & Whiskey Sauce

served with Red Cabbage & Potato Gratin

The Famous Grouse Chocolate & Raspberry Ball"

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

• 2 weeks later...