• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I fought the fudge, and the fudge won

I was in a hurry (as with all the greatest mistakes) and decided to double my batch of chocolate chilli fudge, rather than cook it in 2 separate pans as I usually do. Fudge is sometimes a tricksy beast and I forgot that sometimes you really can't double up on a recipe. Long story short I now have a big bowl of slightly warming chocolate grainy mush, it's not even smooth enough to use as a sauce.

Re-heat, reuse or remove? The sugar has slightly crystallised and it's a sandpappery mess, what to do?

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Is there any way to repair it in the same way you'd repair a broken ganache (ie by stirring a small amount of milk into it in order to re-emulsify?) If not, I'd say write it off and make a note next to your recipe to the effect that "no matter how rushed you are, never ever double this recipe" - I have several such notes in my cookbooks reminding me that hurrying confections will end in tears.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

If you do try to repair it by adding a bit of milk or other liquid, try using an immersion blender to "stir" it in. The high speed blade should create a much more stable emulsion.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Add some water and place over low heat to dissolve the sugar crystals. Recook to correct temperature. I have doubled and tripled many fudge/fondant/caramel recipes without a problem. If you have a pot large enough, a big enough heat source, and a large enough cooling surface, this shouldn't be an issue.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com