• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burgundy – Burgundian fare?

HungryHoss

Hiya,

Planning a trip to Burgundy to sample traditional Burgundian food.

Price not an issue, can be tiny, oldy worldy places with grandma's home best home cooking but can also be fancy hotel etc etc. Whatever's good and traditional!

(Not so interested for this trip on the modern/molecular).

Thank you.

Very good timing HungryHoss, as I am in Burgundy next week and I've been looking at roughly the same kinds of places - though price is an issue :wink:

What I have so far shortlisted :-

Beaune

La Ciboulette

Ma Cuisine

L'Ecusson

Dijon

L'Epicerie & Cie

Le Bistrot des Halles

Cafe de la Prefecture

Au Bon Pantagruel

I am also booked in for lunch at Le Relais Bernard Loiseau.

For Beaune, I would add Loiseau des Vignes (casual food but still great ingredients and technique with some modern touches, plus a great selection of almost 100 wines by the glass) and Caveau des Arches (trencherman's fare in an old cellar) to your list, although I understand Caveau is closed until 28 August.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

Our budget didn't run too high end when we were in Dijon, but we did book a prix fixe lunch at Stephane Debord (one Michelin star) http://gastronomie.jaimelabourgogne.com/out.php?lge=fr&id_site=388

It was a marvelous experience. And they were very sweet to these wide-eyed Americans and especially nice to our teen-aged son who was absolutely dazzled by the food and the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

HungryHoss, I am not sure when you are planning on going, but note that Ma Cuisine is closed till 5th September. And do avoid going on a Sunday as nearly all the good restaurants are closed :wink: Hotel De La Poste - which is open on Sundays - is in the Micehing Guide and OK.

Stephane Derbord in Dijon is excellent, and the set lunch (3 courses - 28 Euros) is an absolute bargain - though it is not traditional bungundian fare.

Bernard Loiseau was also excellent and is worth it if you have a car. Lovely dining room facing the garden, good food, great service.