• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English-style mustard

malarkey

I have a recipe that calls for "english style mustard".

My best guess (as an ex-pat Brit) is Coleman's mustard powder.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I hope to visit a supplier tomorrow who has 8 foot high by over one hundred feet long shelving loaded with English imported foods. I may have a good shot at finding something. Do you figure the mustard to be in a powered form or a paste? With some luck I may chance upon someone from England who may be able to advise.

Edited by chefvic123 (log)

I hope to visit a supplier tomorrow who has 8 foot high by over one hundred feet long shelving loaded with English imported foods.  I may have a good shot at finding something.  Do you figure the mustard to be in a powered form or a paste?  With some luck I may chance upon someone from England who may be able to advise.

Buy the powdered form and mix it with water yourself. It has far more power and flavour than the ready bottled form but beware as it can be ferociously hot.

It is used in the UK almost solely as a condiment. I've never known it to be used in cooking. Dijon mustard is used in cooking instead.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

I have always assumed that mustard powder is simply dried, ground mustard seed :unsure: As Tony said, just mix with water and you have it, but not too much water because it should end up as a paste, not at all runny.

I have seen English mustard used in cooking, but only in a dilute form. This was used to brush onto the outside of a roast brisket of beef, and it created a hard and 'hot' crust.

Powdered mustard is very useful in cooking

My dear departed welsh granny always used a spoonful of it in the mix for her suet crust when making a Steak & kidney pud or in the flour mix for yorkshires.

It adds oomph to most soups and stews and is also used by Bengalis in fish dishes like Mascher jhole

S

Yes, I frequently use Keen's mustard powder in breadings and rubs.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I hope to visit a supplier tomorrow who has 8 foot high by over one hundred feet long shelving loaded with English imported foods.  I may have a good shot at finding something.  Do you figure the mustard to be in a powered form or a paste?  With some luck I may chance upon someone from England who may be able to advise.

This is really nice of you, chefvic. Let me know if you find anything out.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Since we are on the mustard topic.....

What exactly is prepared mustard?

I occasionally find this in recipes and have never been sure what was meant.

I thought it might be something like French's yellow mustard ( the stuff us Americans put on hot dogs and hamburgers), but I recently ran across it in the Babbo book and really think it might be something else now. Maybe the Coleman's mixed to a paste (and thus "prepared")?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It is a hot creamy mustard. Very tasty. Probably be very good on a scredded beef sandwich with an ale. :biggrin:

The brand I bought yesterday is: Elsenham Hot English Mustard Est. at Elsenham Hall in 1890

Very nice and plenty hot. I would not want to eat if if were hotter. I need to take care of the ol taste buds or LLoyds will cancel the insurance policy.

:wink:

Edited by chefvic123 (log)

i also would go with the assumption of coleman's mustard (powder). that doesn't necessarily mean it's the only way to go. the receipe looks similiar to a sauce used for steak au poirve. in it would be cream, prepared mustard (take your pick which type) and green peppercorns.

fyi, coleman's is a brand name that is synonymous with dried mustard. it's named after the British chap who developed it, Jeremiah Coleman.

as for what it is....i don't have the can in front of me but my guess would be ground mustard seeds (red and yellow, the red are hotter) and tumeric for the bright yellow color.

i also would go with the assumption of coleman's mustard (powder).  that doesn't necessarily mean it's the only way to go.  the receipe looks similiar to a sauce used for steak au poirve.  in it would be cream, prepared mustard (take your pick which type) and green peppercorns.

fyi, coleman's is a brand name that is synonymous with dried mustard.  it's named after the British chap who developed it, Jeremiah Coleman.

as for what it is....i don't have the can in front of me but my guess would be ground mustard seeds (red and yellow, the red are hotter) and tumeric for the bright yellow color.

Welcome, Matt.

This is your first post on eGullet and I just wanted to mark it out as such for coming generations.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

English readers will be familiar with the Coleman's wealth resting on 'the mustard that people leave on the side of the plate'. The history of condiment millionaires.

Mix (Prepare) with a little water or vinegar or cream or any sauce. The ground dried mustard seed thickens and develops heat over a 10 minute or so period.

It treats those namby-pamby dijonnaise types with the contempt they deserve.

Wilma squawks no more

I noticed my Coleman's tin has a Royal Warrant on it. Should I take this to mean it's a fine product fit for the Queen or a warning to run away? Or does it mean nothing at all?

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)