• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual/Creative Limoncello Uses (no more f**king lemon-tinis)

Hey all!

So I'm consulting with a bar that has a glut of pretty nice homemade limoncello. I'd love to put a limoncello cocktail on the menu, but have seen SO many cocktails of vodka/limoncello, limoncello/chambord, champagne/limoncello, that I'd love to put together an interesting use for it. Sadly, most of my research just brings me back to more vodka and champagne.

Anyone doing anything cool with Limoncello?

T

Torrence O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Ooh neat idea.. sadly, Michigan is remarkably limited in the products available to the nearly non-existant mixology culture here. With extra time, I could run to Chicago for a special grab, but it's not something I can reliably source here.

Torrence O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Maybe go brown? Rye, Lemoncello, and a healthy dose of Angostura might be nice, combining the peppery-spice, citrus, and pie-spice flavors. Or a bit of an amaro insead of the Angostura -- Campari, Cynar, Ramazzotti, Averna all seem promising. You might need some additional acid if the Lemoncello is quite sweet.

Fernet also seems like it would go wtih Lemoncello, but that would be a fairly narrow-appeal cocktail.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I second the motion to go brown. Whatever whiskey you prefer (bourbon, rye, scotch, canadian, etc) plus limoncello plus fresh citrus juice to make a whisky sour of a sort. Brandy would work too - think a side car variation with limoncello subbing for the orange liqueur. If you could get your hands on some sour oranges I would use them for the citrus juice, inverting the usual lemon juice + orange liqueur with sour orange juice + lemon liqueur.

Not original drinks but my favorite uses of limoncello sans vodky include this variation of a Tequila Mockingbird from the Commander's Palace in New Orleans and a drink from a nearby Decatur restaurant called "My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman".

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Have you considered using Limocello as a sweetening agent for absinthe-based drinks? It strikes me that a Lemon Fairy would be quite tasty (I'll report back as soon as my latest batches of both liqueurs have aged sufficiently).

Edited to correct atrocious spelling.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Limoncello can rectify your iced tea or Arnold Palmer quite nicely. Limoncello, lavender syrup, fresh lemon juice and club soda makes for a very refreshing savory Adults Only lemonade alternative. Ditto for substituting thai basil, rosemary or thyme syrup into that mix.

A Gianni Giorno (loosely, John Daly) with limoncello, lemonade and iced tea would be the perfect summer drink.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I tried:

1/2 oz rye (overproof would be good, I used Rittenhouse)

1/2 oz Punt e Mes

1/2 oz Campari

1/2 oz Lemoncello (I used Luxardo, but I don't know how it compares with others)

3/4 oz Lemon juice

Very nice. Obviously in the Paper Plane camp. The lemon flavor is mild enough to stay behind the other big flavors, and the Lemoncello "Pledge" flavor disappeared.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community