• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake Wreck - What Happened Here?

Panaderia Canadiense

This is normally one of the most reliable cake recipes I have; it's an amaretto-espresso cake that's so simple that I can make it in my sleep. Any ideas why it did this rather than caking up correctly as it normally does? The moulds were filled to 1/2 full, which should have left plenty of room for expansion.

All is not lost - the cake is actually cooked properly and will become some version of Darienne's "cake doohickeys". But that's not what I was shooting for!

(ps - at 10,000 feet, my barometric pressure doesn't vary more than about 50 millibars between sunny and cloudy days, and rapid weather changes don't happen here.)

cakewreck.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Possible, but not probable - I autopilot bake quite often, and have found that by putting my soda and powder in two very different jars, I almost never cross-leaven anymore.

Heat spike, though, is a definite possibility - I need to replace the verniers in my oven, and I've been too busy to do it. Another possibility, now that I think about it, is that I slightly overmeasured the milk. Or perhaps it's just not going to work in silicone today! Ugh, so many possibilities.

Possible, but not probable - I autopilot bake quite often, and have found that by putting my soda and powder in two very different jars, I almost never cross-leaven anymore.

Heat spike, though, is a definite possibility - I need to replace the verniers in my oven, and I've been too busy to do it. Another possibility, now that I think about it, is that I slightly overmeasured the milk. Or perhaps it's just not going to work in silicone today! Ugh, so many possibilities.

I think I need a simply-worded explanation for verniers.

Speaking of "doohickeys" and "doodads" this time I made the Mocha Molasses Cake properly...is it good!!!...and then have turned most of it into cake doodads with the addition of much rum, butter, 54% chocolate, icing sugar and they are currently resting gently in the freezer. Half to go for the Dog Weekend and half for a (shudder) Tupperware Party I can't get out of (unless the hostess reads this post). :raz: Good luck with your own doohickeys. You'll be stunned at the lustful reaction they provoke.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have a gas oven. The verniers are the jets on the oven floor from which the flame issues; given the amount of time that the oven's been on lately in proportion to its age, it's probably time to replace them - they're generally only good for so many hours before they start to burn out between the perforations, which can cause heat spikes. And that's a prime example of me reaching for the correct Spanish term before the English one, which is (I believe) "gas element" or some similar. I've always called that particular oven part a vernier, though.

I am. I made the recipe again in a springform, and it was also an epic fail which tells me that yesterday was not a day for cake, or for that recipe (and yes, I'm 10000% sure that the right amount of flour went in!)

Do you have a wide spread in humidity as we do in Ontario? Well, from 50% to 100%. Or are you like the Southwest...8% to 56%? (I probably have both sets of figures wrong. :raz: )

I know that when I make muffins in Moab and don't adjust for altitude (4,500 '), my muffins runneth over.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It's winter here. Humidity stays steady at about 20% unless it's raining, but as I noted above the weather doesn't change rapidly here. And at 10,000 feet, you'd better bet that all of my recipes have been adjusted for altitude! The first time I tried to bake up here, it was a far worse cake wreck than what's shown above.

It's winter here. Humidity stays steady at about 20% unless it's raining, but as I noted above the weather doesn't change rapidly here. And at 10,000 feet, you'd better bet that all of my recipes have been adjusted for altitude! The first time I tried to bake up here, it was a far worse cake wreck than what's shown above.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I usually adjust for baking at 4500', but it's surprising how many folks don't. And if I don't, it really doesn't matter all that much. I'm not trying to sell the results. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It's surprising what even a thousand feet can do in terms of how batters and doughs behave.... Up here, I use far less soda, slightly more powder, and a lot more fat.