• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake Balls/Pops/Truffles Dipped in Chocolate: Shelf Life?

Darienne

Last week I ruined a wonderful chocolate cake...didn't hear the timer...and made cake balls/pops/truffles with the crumb, dipped in tempered 70% chocolate. An interesting first. They were delicious. Oh my. Gave them all away.

Serious complaints were forthcoming from friends who are attending next weekend's Annual Dog Weekend.

So, I found an old...not too old I hope...Angel Food Cake mix in the cupboard and will add some 52% chocolate to the resulting crumb and then dip the balls into tempered 70% chocolate again.

Question: what would be the shelf life of the "Cake Doodads"? They'll be eaten Friday August 17 until they are gone. How early next week can I actually make them? (I need to make as much as I can ahead of time to accommodate my old and doddering bod.)

Thanks.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I wasn't actually 'thinking' of putting any liquor/liqueur into the mix, but just might do that in order to get them made sooner rather than later. Would half the amount of rum/liquor of the quintessential rum ball mean that they would keep half as long? Might add some Panama Jack (a Canadian fortified cream wine, tastes quite a lot like Bailey's, but a bit less sweet and a bit sharper and a LOT cheaper Less sweet than the American equivalents. Hmmm...half the alcohol content.)

Thanks. As always.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The Angel Food cake mix is made and the crumb is truly awful for Cake Doodads. Too squishy. I didn't think it would be a suitable cake to make into balls and now that's it's done, it isn't.

I'll go back and make the original cake I messed up the first time and use it: Dark Mocha Molasses Snacking Cake Recipe from Smitten Kitchen adapted by Always Order Dessert. http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2012/08/dark-mocha-molasses-snacking-cake.html.

Found a note online that suggested freezing the formed balls before thawing and dipping. That sounds about right for me. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup Kahlua, for which I used Panama Jack, but I still don't feel confident about the storage part with a regular cake dipped in chocolate.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.