• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

REPORT: eG "Heartland" Gathering 2012 (Philadelphia)

Chris Hennes

Great and thanks Jim. What was the cooked cheese dish? Also the Sweetbread dish? Thanks again.

And thank you, Holly for always posting captions above your pictures so the rest of us get full enjoyment without having to flip endlessly back and forth--or worse, not having captions at all on food or people!

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I've got a few random photo's I'll add here. Sadly I was often too busy to grab a photo when I should have - because there were lots of things over the weekend that I wish I had documented.

It was great fun to put faces to names from eG. I made some great new friends this weekend and renewed old friendships.

DSCN0429.jpg

My drink at Zahav - A 'Goldman' - 4 roses, carpana antica and a brandied cherry. Of course I asked for a rocks glass so I could properly dilute it to my plebeian taste. You have to love the hammered copper table tops.

DSCN0424.jpg

Drinks at the Franklin Fountain - root beer, of course, for Rona, a Japanese Thirst Killer Phosphate (Orgeat {almond}, Grape juice, & Angostura Bitters with Phosphate) - sadly just tasting like fizzy grape juice, and of course a malt! Pictured in the photo - torakris and Rona's mom Cecilia.

DSCN0422.jpg

Batch number 1 and number 2 of financiers. Batch one - the oven runs a little hot. Batch 2 - funny I don't remember browning the butter for those - cause I didn't! Wondered why they puffed up in a strange way - guess it was the no fat in them. Batch 3 was the charm.

DSCN0419.jpg

DSCN0421.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

Last 3 pictures were from Lemon Hill - within walking distance of the house we stayed in. We met up with Katie, philadining and cdh. A very nice cocktail bar with good eats. My eats photos were mostly out of focus. But the drink is a Poison Ivy and the dish is pork belly with beans. We also had some lovely deep fried chicken livers and a beet salad.

Hello! My first post in a few years, I think! Mr. Tarte Tatin and I had a great time at Han Dynasty on Sunday...it was great meeting so many of you!

Kerry, I just looked at your pictures: I'm so jealous you made financiers and we didn't get to taste them!

Missed seeing a bunch of people at the earlier events in the week. It sounded like fun.

Hello! My first post in a few years, I think! Mr. Tarte Tatin and I had a great time at Han Dynasty on Sunday...it was great meeting so many of you!

Kerry, I just looked at your pictures: I'm so jealous you made financiers and we didn't get to taste them!

Missed seeing a bunch of people at the earlier events in the week. It sounded like fun.

It was delightful to meet the Tarte's' Tatin. It truly is a shame you weren't able to come for the Saturday dinner - there was a whole lot of extra food!

Canada gets my vote! I'm due for some cross border travels...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I finally got around to organizing my pics from the gathering. I thought I had pics of the enchiladas, but no such luck! I barely have any pics of the food from the dinner--I think I must have been pretty tired by then, so it slipped my mind.

Federal Donuts--Harissa Chicken

Thanks to the organizers! Wish I could have chatted with some of the locals a little more. But perhaps another time!

I would love to travel to Winnipeg. My only stop there was on VIA Rail on the trip from Vancouver to Toronto. Only stopped for a few hours though.

Winnipeg is closest to where I live but I still know almost nothing about it, only been there a couple times for business reasons. Toronto would be doable too. Of course it would probably force choosing between this and the chocolate and confectionary gathering, I doubt I'd be able to get away for both.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 months later...

Anthony Bourdain recently enjoyed a dinner at Zahav that was quite similar to ours on his Philadelphia episode of The Layover. He also stopped at Han Dynasty for Dan Dan noodles and Paesano's for sandwiches. Seems we were ahead of the curve... :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

How did I miss this?? I must check in more frequently for sure.

It sounds like everyone had a really good time and Katie you selected just the right mix of venues to give visitors a real look inside the Philly food scene. So sorry I missed this one..