• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

REPORT: eG "Heartland" Gathering 2012 (Philadelphia)

Chris Hennes

Dinner at Zahav:

Hello everyone, I just wanted to take the time to give you some details of the meal from last night. These descriptions will reference Philadining's photos.

1.) Hummus Tehina with smoked paprika, parsley and olive oil.

2.) Hummus Tehina with house baked Laffa Bread.

3.) Salatim - (starting with at the top and working around clockwise) Salt Roasted Beets with Tehina, Israeli Salad (Cucumbers, Tomato, Parsley, Olive oil, & Salt), Taboulleh Salad (Parsley, Bulgur Wheat, & Tomato), Green Bean Salad (Aleppo Peppers, Tomato, Cilantro), Twice Cooked Eggplant, and Spiced Moroccan Carrots with Mint.

4.) Sweet Bread Schnitzel (dredged in all purpose flour, challah bread crumbs and white sesame) served with a Black Garlic Carib Molasses and Cauliflower Two-Ways (pickled & sauteed), and finished with a dash of Za'atar (wild dried savory, sumac, & white sesame).

5.) Fried Cauliflower with Herbed Labaneh - The cauliflower is fried in canola and finished with Volcanic/Black Sea Salt & Micro Chive. The Labaneh is herbed with garlic mint and dill.

6.) Watermelon Salad with Bulgarian Feta Cheese Crumbles, Black Olive Tapanade, Spiced Iranian Pistachios, and Sliced Breakfast Radishes.

7.) Chicken Liver Mousse over Challah toast with Sumac Onions, Pickled Carrot, Gribenes, and Micro Bulls Blood.

8.) Duck Hearts Al'Haesh served over a Date Tehina, with Goose Berries, and Cippolini Onions Two-ways.

9.) Spiced Eggplant (brined, fried, then grilled) over Israeli Couscous with Button Mushrooms and Mizuna, Finished with a Mushroom Tehina.

10.) Spiced Eggplant from a different angle.

11.) Messibah Lamb Shoulder (smoked at Percy Street Barbecue and then braised in a mixture of Pomagranite juice, Fennel, Whole Chickpeas, Black Pepper corns and Brown Sugar) served over Crispy Persian Wedding Rice with the chickpeas from the braising process.

12.) A bonier shoulder.

13.) Messibah Chicken with Sumac Red Onions, Green Tehina (Parsley & Cilantro), and a sprinkle of Za'atar.

14.) Rugelach with Date and Hazelnut paste

15.) Roasted Apricot with a Brown Sugar Sauce, house made Turkish Delight, Apricot Sorbet, and Ribbons of Cucumber Poached in St. Germaine (elder-flower liquor).

16.) Pavlova - Baked Meringue Bowl filled with Malabi (orchid root mousse) then finished with Crushed Iranian Pistachios and a compote of Blueberries and Strawberries.

17.) Konafi - Honey Sweetened Ricotta Cheese wrapped in Shredded Filo dough. Finished with a Peach compote and Labaneh Ice cream.

Sunday brunch at Han Dynasty, 108 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. Katie bats 1000 for throwing one hell of a weekend.

I may have a couple of names of the dishes wrong. Let me know and I'll edit the post.

Cold Sesame Noodles

m_HanDynasty-ColdNoodles.jpg

Spicy Crispy Cucumber

m_HanDynasty-Cucumbers.jpg

Scallion Pancake

m_HanDynasty-ScallionPancake.jpg

Fryed Taiwanese Sausage with Raw Garlic

m_HanDynasty-ChineseSausage.jpg

Wontons in Chili Sauce

m_HanDynasty-Wontons.jpg

Dumplings in Chili Sauce

m_HanDynasty-Dumplings.jpg

West Lake Beef Soup

m_HanDynasty-WestLakeSoup.jpg

Cumin Style Lamb

m_HanDynasty-CuminLamb.jpg

Double Cooked Chicken

m_HanDynasty-DoubleCookedChicken2.jpg

Sauteed Greens

m_HanDynasty-Greens.jpg

Tripe

m_HanDynasty-Trype.jpg

Double Cooked Fish

m_HanDynasty-FriedFish.jpg

Three Cup Chicken

m_HanDynasty-ThreeCupChicken.jpg

Sauteed Green Beans

m_HanDynasty-StringBeans.jpg

Crispy Rice Style Shrimp

m_HanDynasty-CrispyRiceStyleShrimp.jpg

Hot Sauce Style Pork

m_HanDynasty-HotSauceStylePork.jpg

Salt and Pepper Shrimp

m_HanDynasty-SaltAndPepperShrimp.jpg

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Yeah, Holly, Katie hit a home run. Great to see everyone & happy to boost my pal Linda's heat scale a couple of points. You Heartlanders can come to Philly early & often!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Thanks everybody! It really was a pleasure. Glad I recovered in time to make it to the feastivities!

Holly, the only mistake I see is the chicken is the Dry Pepper Chicken, not double cooked. The fish was the only double cooked style item.

I'm having West Lake Beef soup leftovers for dinner...:o)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Great and thanks Jim. What was the cooked cheese dish? Also the Sweetbread dish? Thanks again.

In the flurry of (late-night) posting I somehow left off the Haloumi photo, that was the fried cheese - perhaps we can get a more Zahavified description from Jim or someone...

Zahav-HG-Haloumi.jpg

I'm not sure whether some powerful admin can go back and revise earlier posts to integrate all this info, but if not, maybe I'll just make a new post that intersperses photos and descriptions.

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about the pot-luck on saturday. I'm sorry to have missed that, and brunch on sunday, and general mingling and socializing. I hope all the visitors enjoyed Philly!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Looks like a grand time ! Sure wish, however, that there were captions/explanations to some of those photos, so us non-insiders could tell who was who and what was what.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"