• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

REPORT: eG "Heartland" Gathering 2012 (Philadelphia)

Chris Hennes

Mmmm. Pork shoulder. Can't wait to try that on Saturday!

So a small bunch of us made it over to Lemon Hill this evening for some fine grub and cocktails and to welcome Kerry Beal and torakris in true Philly style. I met up with the ladies, soon followed by philadining and cdh. Yummy snacks of crispy chicken livers, beets, pastrami spiced chicken wings (damn these are good, how had I never ordered them before?) and crispy pork belly were universally enjoyed. Fine cocktails, expertly prepared by Pete, our stellar barkeep. Quick surgical strike at Capogiro for some fabulous gelato/sorbetto for dessert. It was good to be vertical. And to eat. My tank was running low. Feeling renewed and ready for tomorrow!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Glad y'all could get together. Looking forward to our dinner @ Zahav tonight. Hopefully the rain will serve as a well needed coolant & leave the area. Enjoy our wonderful city!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Didn't have the good camera with me last night - but I promise to bring it to Zahav! But I couldn't resist a quick iPhone snapshot during our stop at Capogiro:

CapoRamos.jpg

Yep, that's Ramos Gin Fizz Gelato. I can't say it tastes just like the cocktail, but it was good!

I love their bitter chocolate gelato, but I might actually prefer the sorbetto, when they have it. It's a pure, direct chocolate bomb... (Paired here with Cactus Pear... )

CapoCactus.jpg

So, note to other visitors, get to a Capogiro! There are several:

13th and Sansom

20th and Sansom

3925 Walnut in University City (West Philly)

1625 East Passyunk Ave (South Philly)

more info, hours, flavors, etc:

http://capogirogelato.com

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

A group of out-of-towners were led (by Katie Loeb) through the Italian Market. Of course I've got a zillion photos, but I'll start with the important ones... what we ate at Paesano's:

DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0627.jpg

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0647.jpg

We had the Paesano, the Arista, the Panelle, and the Gustaio. And some potatoes.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Since we had clearly not eaten enough at Paesano's, we also hit Isgro for cannoli...

But first, some other shots of Isgro:

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

At long last, the cannoli is filled (fresh of course, so it stays crisp):

DSC_0682.jpg

And finally, the gang, basking in the glow of the cannoli:

Basking in the glow of the cannoli.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The annual Heartland Gathering is upon us, as people started arriving in Philadelphia today. My first stop was the Fair Foods Farmstand in the Reading Terminal Market to pick up a pork shoulder for the Saturday Feast: it's in the sous vide rig now....

photo.JPG

Now how did you get that machine on an airplane out of Oklahoma?

Although a bit further from the Italian Market, the cannolis from Varallo's Bakery at 10th & Morris are pretty awesome too. They're closed for vacation until September as of this week, but their "special" cannolis have the ends of the shells dipped in chocolate and the filling is laced with Strega. OMG. Those might be my fave cannolis in the city. The rest of their cookies, pastries and cakes are amazing as well, and outrageously inexpensive for the quality. Have to show that place to you all on a future visit.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol