• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant near Newark Airport

Catherine Iino

On the off chance that someone is actually looking at this right now, I'm about to head from CT down to pick up my daughter at Newark Airport. She'll get out of there between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m., and we'll all be hungry, no doubt. Any recommendations on a place to stop--not too complicated or fancy--heading out of the airport and back toward Connecticut? She's been in Haiti for a couple of months, so will appreciate some good fresh food. Chinese, Japanese, maybe?

I'll answer my own question. We found So Kong Dong (Soft Tofu Restaurant) in Fort Lee, practically on the on-ramp to the GW Bridge. It was just the thing. The menu is just several variations on tofu soup, and kalbi (ribs). An assortment of kimchi are served with it, and a stone bowl of rice, into which tea is poured after the rice is served. Evidently, you are supposed to drink the tea at the end of the meal. It was straightforward, delicious, and satisfying--the perfect place to stop. It's open until 10:00 p.m.

There's a good article about the place in Serious Eats.