• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saveur, Issue 149, The Mexico Issue

Darienne

Saveur's Aug/Sept 12 issue is wall-to-wall Mexican. A mixed bag for me. An index which I find unusable and almost nothing on beans that I could find. But then, a magazine is aimed somewhere in the middle by its very nature.

Rancho Gordo is noted as a source for The Mexican Pantry which is nice.

Haven't had any time to look in depth at the recipes but I did look at the one for Capirotada, one of my current obsessions. It notes that the bread pudding is a "traditional Lenten feast dish" and lists eggs as one of the ingredients. My own inexact knowledge of the dessert would say that eggs are not included in a Lenten dish. But then what do I know?

Still I am looking forward to a close examination of the periodical at my next doctor's appointment. :hmmm: Am going to make Sikil P'ak for the Dog Weekend.

Thanks to the eG member who alerted me to this issue.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I too was happy to see the recipe index included, it makes my efforts to create a digital recipe file of all the issues, a hellova lot easier. The pan fried crabs in chipotle sauce are on my to try list.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Except for they just list us as having cinnamon. It's very weird. With all we do and they think the thing of interest is canela.

I don't particularly like it but there are some good things in there. The interview with DK is only online and it is fine but it would have been great had it been longer. I think the profile that made the magazine is very short and not very interesting.

My biggest complaint is how in 2012 a magazine as respected as this gets away with canned beans and masa harina. It would have been ok if there were an article in all caps called NIXTAMAL! as well. The situation isn't going to get better for ingredients if we don't call them on it.

Speaking of which, I did call them on it. They were gracious and nice, considering they worked very hard on it and even agreed with most of my complaints.

In the end I think it has flashes of brillinace and lots of great pictures but ultimately it's a wasted opportunity. You should get it. You may love it or not but it's interesting at the least.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Thanks so much for your reply RG. I was hoping to get your slant on this issue, seeing as my own knowledge is both new and slight.

It was a shame that they did not have much in the way of bean recipes and that you weren't listed as a supplier of said. I really didn't notice the canned bean ingredient, but then my eye might have gone right over it.

I did make the Sikil Pak and liked what I made, although I have no idea of what it should taste like.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Except for they just list us as having cinnamon. It's very weird. With all we do and they think the thing of interest is canela.

I don't particularly like it but there are some good things in there. The interview with DK is only online and it is fine but it would have been great had it been longer. I think the profile that made the magazine is very short and not very interesting.

My biggest complaint is how in 2012 a magazine as respected as this gets away with canned beans and masa harina. It would have been ok if there were an article in all caps called NIXTAMAL! as well. The situation isn't going to get better for ingredients if we don't call them on it.

Speaking of which, I did call them on it. They were gracious and nice, considering they worked very hard on it and even agreed with most of my complaints.

In the end I think it has flashes of brillinace and lots of great pictures but ultimately it's a wasted opportunity. You should get it. You may love it or not but it's interesting at the least.

Where's the LIKE button...

• 2 weeks later...

Saveur's Aug/Sept 12 issue is wall-to-wall Mexican. A mixed bag for me. An index which I find unusable and almost nothing on beans that I could find. But then, a magazine is aimed somewhere in the middle by its very nature.

Haven't had any time to look in depth at the recipes but I did look at the one for Capirotada, one of my current obsessions. It notes that the bread pudding is a "traditional Lenten feast dish" and lists eggs as one of the ingredients. My own inexact knowledge of the dessert would say that eggs are not included in a Lenten dish. But then what do I know?

Still I am looking forward to a close examination of the periodical at my next doctor's appointment. :hmmm: Am going to make Sikil P'ak for the Dog Weekend.

Thanks to the eG member who alerted me to this issue.

I made the cover recipe, Oaxacan Red Chile Enchiladas, this evening for dinner. Superb

A little time consuming, but the recipe is pretty straightforward and fairly simple. I also made my own corn tortillas to use for the enchiladas, which may have contributed to the success of the dish as well.

Highly recommend these enchiladas.