• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive Chocolate Sources?

lovkel

I HAVE tried searching old posts, but I really haven't found what I am looking for.

I am trying to find sources for decent chocolate that I can buy in bulk but won't cost a freaking fortune. The best I've found is Albert Uster (http://www.auiswiss.com/). I can buy 5 kg packages of couverture coins for about $45 (with free S&H if the order is over $195).

Has anyone found any other sites that can compete with this? Bricks, coins, chips, etc doesn't matter all that much. For the most part, the chocolate goes into making cupcakes, frostings, and fillings. I got a great deal at Costco when they were selling 3lb packages of Ghirardelli chips for $10. I know this wasn't couverture chocolate, but it worked for my purposes.

Thanks!

$9/kg is pretty cheap - If I could find quality chocolate for that price, I'd grab it. Of course, I'm in Australia so it generally costs more, but the cheapest I can get Felchlin (my preferred brand) is $18/kg.

I am also interested in this. Also, how long, generally, doe couverture last in a pantry? I wouldn't mind paying five-hundred dollars for chocolate if I could keep it for a year without it spoiling. As for sources, I've heard of Chocosphere from E-gullet people.

In case there are any Canadians reading this: Ontario Walmarts carry a 400 g imported Belgian chocolate bar, $3.98 (CDN$), Waterbridge brand, 4 kinds I think, milk chocolate, 55% dark and 72%dark, one mixed with nuts(?). Hardly good couverture quality, but I use it for a variety of cooking purposes.

Walmarts in the USA does not carry this chocolate bar, but I seem to recall seeing some kind of thick not too impressive plain chocolate bar on the shelves.

In the USA I order Guittard from Bakers Cash & Carry in SLC but it's no better than your original quote.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the Albert Uster "Orchid Line" chocolate and really like it, especially for the price. Take my recommendation with a grain of salt - I'm a relative newbie to making chocolates - but it is easy to work with and I really like the flavor of their dark chocolates. I'm not a fan of milk chocolate in general but theirs is as good as any to me and my husband, kids and friends love it. I have made stuff for friends with the white and they liked it (I really don't like white chocolate at all).

Also, not sure where you are but see if you have a local AU rep for your area. We have a rep that comes to my area once a month or so, and he drops off my orders at my office, so no shipping costs.

Jess

As a consumer, why would I search for cheap chocolate, cheap Basmati rice or for that matter Vanilla ? (sub 'good value' for cheap if you like)

I man up and pay the price... Yum :)

This is my personal opinion and not directed at you lovkel !

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

As a consumer, why would I search for cheap chocolate, cheap Basmati rice or for that matter Vanilla ? (sub 'good value' for cheap if you like)

I man up and pay the price... Yum :)

This is my personal opinion and not directed at you lovkel !

I think the Albert Uster Imports couverture is quite good quality, at a very good price. While I agree that sometimes one must pay extra for quality, I also love to find a good bargain, and this chocolate qualifies in my book.