• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demeyere Cookware

ElsieD

Last year, we bought an induction range. I have been using the same stainless steel pots and pans that I previously used on my gas stove, but wouldn't mind getting some new ones. Today I was at my favourite kitchen store and saw the Demeyere line. They have a line designed specifically for induction called Controllnduc. Does anyone know anything about this line? Or about the Demeyere line in general? They are fairly pricey, but are they worth it?

Much of my cookware is Demeyere -- the Sirocco line, which I believe has been discontinued. I've also used several pieces in other, newer lines. I love it and would recommend it highly. However, as far as I know everything they make is induction-compatible, so I find it interesting that they have a line specifically for induction ranges.

I have two Demeyere pans, a chef's pan that is my absolute favorite pan, and a 9" skillet. All their pans are suitable for induction; I don't know anything about that n. I had a question about the pans once and the owner of the company personally emailed me with a response. Needless to say, that made a favorable impression.

I'm surprised that you would be using the same pots with an induction cooktop that you used with a gas stove. I was told definitely not to do this, as the concentrated heat from the gas flame would distort the bottom of the pan, which should stay as flat as possible so that it can be in contact with as much of the surface as possible. Maybe it turns out to be not sucah a big issue?

In my case it wasn't an issue at all, as the stainless pots I had were definitly NOT compatible, and so I bought new ones. Luckily here in France we can get good quality induction compatible pots in the supermarket.

The pans I have now are made by Lagostina and yes, they are still perfectly flat and do work on my stove. Here is what the Demeyere site says about the Controllnduc line:

Controllinduc is a safety system that limits the maximum temperature to 250 C on induction cookers. The pan will heat to 220C but above this temperature the power of the inductors progressively diminishes and stabilizes between 245 - 250 C. Beyond 250 C the material loses it's magnetic properties and demands the induction plate to diminish it's power.

Kind of neat, that. Thank you very much for your responses, I appreciate it very much. If anyone else would like to chime in, I would be happy to hear from you.

• 3 months later...

So I've purchased an Industry5 saute pan and a Proline skillet. These have an interior lining of "Silvinox" treated stainless. There's a few things in the Industry5 pamphlet that make me think that maybe it is intended to be used without season. Is that right? What have other owners done?

--- Lee

Seattle

While I don't own any of those lines, I do have a lot of other Demeyere pans and have used those lines as well. I've never seasoned any of them, and they perform beautifully and clean up easily.

• 4 weeks later...

With respect, virtually all pans benefit from some "seasoning". I put that word in in quotes because what it is differs from lining to lining and texture to texture. In my experience, tin, silver, aluminum, SS, even enamel all benefit. I would treat Silvinox the same as aluminum or non-sprayed SS--liberally oil, heat to just below the smoke point of your oil/fat, let cool, and wipe out without washing. Ideally, just wipe out or salt-scrub thereafter, in homage to Chef Stanish and other great omeleteers.

• 3 weeks later...