• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New appliance: Automatic Jam and Jelly Maker

andiesenji

Got an email today from Cooking.com with this new appliance.

I don't have a use for it because I have a Thermomix but I can see that for a busy person who doesn't have the time to hover over a hot stove, (or doesn't want the kitchen heated up by prolonged stove top cooking) this might be an advantage.

In my opinion the price will probably be dropping in the future - often these "introductory" prices do drop after a few months.

While it seems like a single-use appliance, I can see that it might come in handy for other applications where a food needs to be constantly stirred. I'm thinking of chutneys and sauces, etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Got an email today from Cooking.com with this new appliance.

I don't have a use for it because I have a Thermomix but I can see that for a busy person who doesn't have the time to hover over a hot stove, (or doesn't want the kitchen heated up by prolonged stove top cooking) this might be an advantage.

In my opinion the price will probably be dropping in the future - often these "introductory" prices do drop after a few months.

While it seems like a single-use appliance, I can see that it might come in handy for other applications where a food needs to be constantly stirred. I'm thinking of chutneys and sauces, etc.

Wonder how hot it can get? The limitation of the TMX for things like fudge is the temperature it can reach.

My Zojirushi "Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine" has a "jam" setting and the recipe book included with the machine has three nice jam recipes - strawberry, apple and mixed berry. And it makes very good bread, bread dough, sourdough starter, quick breads. Now I have not tried the recipe for "Zojirushi’s original Meatloaf Miracle" that was also included in the recipe booklet, but every other recipe has been quite successful, so I imagine that it would produce a decent result, as well.

Edited by kbjesq (log)

It is available at Amazon (more expensive) and that gave me a link to the Ball web site where you can click on the link, "View Our Instruction Book Guide" and you can download the instruction manual that includes all the specifications. also photos of the inside of the pot.

It doesn't note the temp range but it has to boil the syrup so it must get pretty hot.

It only holds a quart or so - at least that's what I think.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I see coupons for this machine at the farmer's market. Most packs of pectin made 6-8 cups of fruit jam, but this machine only has a 4 cup capacity. This means that I will have to cut down all of my recipes or rely soley on Ball's recipe guide. A pot and a spoon works just fine for me.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I see coupons for this machine at the farmer's market. Most packs of pectin made 6-8 cups of fruit jam, but this machine only has a 4 cup capacity. This means that I will have to cut down all of my recipes or rely soley on Ball's recipe guide. A pot and a spoon works just fine for me.

Yeah, a pot and spoon does work fine and I very rarely even make jam. But if they would replace that "jam/jelly" control with a temp control that reads to the little timer screen, I could do a whole lot of other things with it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

After reading some of the comments on the various sites, I have concluded that this appliance is for the novice cook who has never made jam or jelly, is afraid of trying something new that is more complicated that sticking food in the microwave and who likes to have things that are more or less foolproof.

Many of the comments begin with, "I have never made jam before..."

I'd actually consider this thing in the running for signs of the culinary apocalypse. ETA - this and the machine that makes 6 cupcakes at a time.

Honestly, folks, jams and jellies are not so complicated to do on the stovetop! Put me down firmly in the "pot and spoon" camp.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)