• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli: 1998-2002

robert brown

Lizziee--the black chalkboard is the key--what are you moving the piece of chalk over and clicking on? That's where "recetas" is--if you aren't seeing it, there's a problem. But below recetas and below buscar is salir--if you click on that, you begin the exit process, it shows you some credits and then you click on a down arrow and you're out. You should not have to turn off your computer--that's not good, actually.

You will also have salir on top of every "white" page--i.e. a non-chalkboard page--on the far right--click on that and you exit as well.

And for everyone reading this who want to order the book--JB Prince in NYC is the only US source at the moment who has it in stock for immediate delivery. Kitchen Arts & Letters also had a few copies but sold out quickly.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

The eGullet discussion of this subject has just been referenced in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo...eadlines%2Dfood

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 5 months later...
The eGullet discussion of this subject has just been referenced in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo...eadlines%2Dfood

I get this

Error

There was an error processing your request. The most likely cause is the URL is not valid.

Could you possibly cite a few lines?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...
Has the cookbook made it's appearance in English yet ?

The NYTimes article mentioned that they are doing an English translation. If I remember correctly it's due sometime in '04.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Paul,

I order a fair amount of stuff from CHIPSbooks and I also saw it advertised on the JBPrince site. I don't think I'll be able to get it till November anyways.

Can't wait!

2317/5000

I have mentioned this in another thread but ill mention it again.

My wife works for Wiley Publishing - the largest cookbook publisher in the world. El Bulli has given Wiley first right of refusal to publish the book in English. It is due out next summer and the current price projection is 225.00. I will have a rough copy of the book with the cd-rom by febuary. This is as close to the horses mouth as it gets. (From the VP of cook book sales) I will post all information as we get closer to the release date. Sorry folks, dont kill the messenger.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Amazon.co.uk has it for £75 including delivery, but the date is not shown

I think the UK is using a publisher by the name of Pearson, but dont qoute me on that.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Are you familiar with Editores Montagud in Barcelona? www.montagud.com or www.libreriagastronomica.com The Adria's books, plus so much more, are available through them. The have always been a pleasure to shop with, secure on-line transaction, and shipping via DHL. Just be damned sure that someone intent on saving your soul has charge of all of your tarjetas de credito before you pay Montagud a visit. It is quite the candy store.

Marc Veyrat's Fou des saveurs is an excellent book, as are many on Montagud's list. However. My library is now arranged BA/AA: before & after the Adrias.

The first of their books I got was Albert's Postres de El Bulli. (I am a bit perplexed that it does not seem to have been mentioned here - his flow chart orderings and classifications of components is, by itself, worth the cost of the book).

I don't really know what to do with those books - but they inspire and challenge the bejesus out of me.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Can someone kindly post the links to ordering this on-line? I seem to be having trouble finding either Librarie Gastronomie or the section from which I can order on El Bulli's site. My laziness no doubt, but help would be nice.

A.

(Told my wife not get the Tramonto's Amuse Bouche for me for Xmas. I want this one, even though I am still laboring through translating two his other books.)

Bought mine in NY at JB Prince Resturant supply (online) here is the linkJB Prince $149 plus shipping

Cheers :smile:

• 5 weeks later...

"Dear Customer,

We are very sorry to report that the publication of "El Bulli" (ISBN:

1840913460) has been cancelled and there is no date set for releasing

this title.

This unavailable item has been cancelled from your order.

We aim to keep our catalogue as accurate as possible, but unfortunately

there are occasions on which the information we receive from our data

suppliers may not be up to date.

We apologise for any inconvenience such inaccuracies may have caused you.

Warmest regards

Customer Services

Amazon.co.uk"

:sad:

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I received the same email this morning. So much for us getting the unusually low price! Jon: what do we do now?

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Oh I don't think its been cancelled cancelled

I just assume someone at amazon finally twigged the data they had in was completely speculative, so the pulled the entry, which presumably autogenerated the message

bit of an arse though. then again - frees up seventy five quid for some other cookbooks!

might finally get my hands on a copy of Charlie Trotters Meat & Game...

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Knowing that I possibly risk someones ire, I wrote chipbooks.com the other day about a FIRM release date and I received an e-mail back stating that they will have it late this month and that they are receiving an initial shipment of 250 and I believe they have back orders of + 200 and that they are the sole distributor, as stated somewhere on this thread.

Maybe Amazon bailed out because of the price?

Or, maybe the whole thing is getting pushed back :blink:

Either way, I don't think anyone could make money selling it for 75 f /170 usd.

2317/5000