• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beachbum Berry to Open Tiki Bar in New Orleans

weinoo

Interesting article in today's NY Times about the New Orleans cocktail scene.

Obviously, as home to Tales of the Cocktail, things have heated up...a LOT...

The Modern, which reopened last fall after a renovation, captures a sudden advancement in New Orleans’s cocktail culture in which this always happily bibulous city has added newer, fresher ways to drink, while still holding on to tradition. In the process, the city has become a magnet for bartenders and their fans from around the country, particularly New York.

Really, are that many people moving to New Orleans?

Maybe - Beachbum Berry has already made the transition...

Jeff Berry, arguably the country’s leading authority on tiki drinks, this spring realized a longstanding dream to move here from Asheville, N.C. He plans to open a tiki bar in a year’s time.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Maybe - Beachbum Berry has already made the transition...

Jeff Berry, arguably the country’s leading authority on tiki drinks, this spring realized a longstanding dream to move here from Asheville, N.C. He plans to open a tiki bar in a year’s time.

That's great. Hopefully it will be open by next year's TOTC!

Really, are that many people moving to New Orleans?

I read that 1 in 9 people who currently live here didn't before Katrina. Plus, the food culture here supports more restaurants operating at a higher level than almost anywhere else.