• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with Delicious apples?

abadoozy

The previous owner of my house planted a Delicious Apple tree in the front yard. Over the past few years, it's matured, and I've had a bumper crop of Delicious apples every fall. This year looks like it may turn out to be the biggest ever.

Every time I look at that tree, I get mad.

Who in their right mind plants a DELICIOUS APPLE tree?!? Those apples are absolutely not delicious. Now, granted, the ones off the tree are better than the ones you buy in the store, but they're still watery, bland, thick-skinned, and coarse-textured. I usually pick one every fall, take a bite, throw it away and curse whoever planted that tree. It'd be one thing if it was just a pretty ornamental tree that never produced. But having it be so bountiful in my yard - the yard that refuses to cough up decent tomatoes or basil or anything else I like - just pisses me off.

OK, rant done. <whew> that made me feel better. Back to the original question: Is there anything I can do with these awful fruits beyond letting the deer eat them?

The previous owner of my house planted a Delicious Apple tree in the front yard. Over the past few years, it's matured, and I've had a bumper crop of Delicious apples every fall. This year looks like it may turn out to be the biggest ever.

Every time I look at that tree, I get mad.

Who in their right mind plants a DELICIOUS APPLE tree?!? Those apples are absolutely not delicious. Now, granted, the ones off the tree are better than the ones you buy in the store, but they're still watery, bland, thick-skinned, and coarse-textured. I usually pick one every fall, take a bite, throw it away and curse whoever planted that tree. It'd be one thing if it was just a pretty ornamental tree that never produced. But having it be so bountiful in my yard - the yard that refuses to cough up decent tomatoes or basil or anything else I like - just pisses me off.

OK, rant done. <whew> that made me feel better. Back to the original question: Is there anything I can do with these awful fruits beyond letting the deer eat them?

What kind are these? Golden or red delicious? My mom used to make a nice apple tart with golden delicious apples.

If you can't donate them...some places you can't...what about juicing them? Then you can freeze the juice and drink it forever.

We did that last year, although it was from wonderful Mac and Northern Spy trees mixed. (sorry).

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hey guys, easy on the chopping down stuff - there's clearly some good roots there, so how about grafting? And don't stick with one variety; there's no reason you can't graft two or three onto a single stump to give you both some variety and an extended harvest season.

Having said that, I wonder if you're not letting them get too ripe (yes, it's possible). I haven't had a red delicious for a while, but I do remember there's a short window to get them at their best. Once they tip over, they get the kind of mushy texture you seem to be experiencing. Before that, they can be wonderful.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Hey guys, easy on the chopping down stuff - there's clearly some good roots there, so how about grafting? And don't stick with one variety; there's no reason you can't graft two or three onto a single stump to give you both some variety and an extended harvest season.

My though,t too: my boyfriend's mother has several heirloom varieties grafted onto one of the original trees on the garden, and it's been quite successful. Seems a shame to chop down a tree that is probaly at least good for shade.

Having said that, I wonder if you're not letting them get too ripe (yes, it's possible). I haven't had a red delicious for a while, but I do remember there's a short window to get them at their best. Once they tip over, they get the kind of mushy texture you seem to be experiencing. Before that, they can be wonderful.

Another vote for applesauce (or, I don't know, how well do they dry?). I don't think I've ever bitten into a Red Delicious apple that hasn't been disappointing, and have always assumed they were a hybrid designed to stock supermarkets.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

My thoughts exactly--call your local county extension agent and ask for a referral to a fruit grower or nursery that handles fruit trees. You can graft a variety you really like onto that mature, productive tree.

I'm reading Sandor Katz's wonderful The Art of Fermentation book, so I would definitely try my hand at juicing and fermenting the juice as he recommends to make cider or even mix it with honey for mead.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm not going to juice them because I don't really drink juice or cider. Not that I don't like them - especially cider - but it's just not a big part of my diet.

Applesauce: Yeah, probably could do that. But when my choice is applesauce from the local Honeycrisps which make excellent applesauce with next to no additions, or applesauce from my flavorless apples, I'm going for the Honeycrisps.

Gratfing: now there's an idea! I have no idea how to go about finding someone to do that, though. I guess I'll start looking. Thanks!