• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hilton Head, SC

MartyL

Kenny B's is fun, small, not fancy, inexpensive ($7.50 for a Po Boy) and with more of a neighborhood feel than you usually get in Hilton Head. I have enjoyed both the shrimp and oyster versions, as well as the gumbo and fried catfish. The bread is not good enough to qualify this as a great sandwich, and the tomatoes are the usual pulp, but the slaw and remoulade are good and the oysters/shrimp are really the point, anyway. Don't go expecting a transforming experience, but the mains and sides are fresh, the Abita is cold, and the Georgia Bulldogs/New Orleans Saints decor captures both the winner and lovable loser motif. You can (and unless you do a lot of planning, will) do much worse on Hilton Head. They also do a very popular buffet Saturday and Sunday mornings.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

• 1 year later...

So...anything new in the last year or so?

I am often on HHI for my wedding anniversary, so my husband and I are usually on the lookout for that so-far-elusive knockout experience.

Malawry:

I, again, recommend Riviera Oaks in Orleans Center (next to Michael Anthony's). Great decor and a good kitchen.

Also, for drinks, small tapa size food and a rolicking population try Wise Guys Lounge. Its next to Frankie Bones, near Main Street at the north end. Friday evening is delightful mayhem. Sooner or later, all the island's glitterati will walk by your table.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to chime in here as we will be on our 20th anniversary trip in mid July.

We would prefer something that the locals would eat at and like just about any kind of food. Prefer seafood given the locale and off island is just fine by us.

Any help is appreciated as I have not been in ages. Is the sushi joint with the biker chef still around? I seem to remember it near the circle. And the brewpub..do they still have growlers available?

• 11 months later...

BUMP!

Hey there all. My wife and I are headed down to Hilton Head with her parents and brothers this weekend. We're just looking for some advice, and I wanted to make sure everything here was still up-to-date, since the last post was almost a year ago. Also, some specific requests:

A good place for cocktails and appetizers or tapas

Quality breakfast

Dessert

Thanks all!

Tim

Alas, Riviera Oaks closed its doors around Christmas.

For cocktails and small dishes the best place is Wise Guys Lounge. Run by the Serg Group of Frankie Bones, Black Marlin, Giuseppis, One Hot Mamas, The Lodge and The Boathouse Grille fame. Its just off Main Street at the north end of the island. THE current popular gathering place. I'll be at the bar Friday at 5:30.

Still my favorite places are Michael Anthony's on New Orleans Road (south end), Mulberry Street Trattoria (over the bridge and the first left after the Moss Creek light) Il Carpaccio (at the back side of Pineland Station, north end). All are Italian. BTW, Il Carpaccio serves excellent wood fired, thin crust pizza.

We had a good brunch a couple of weeks ago at the Boathouse. Its on Squire Pope Road (north end) just beyond Hudson's. Parking can be difficult, but its right on Skull Creek with plenty of outdoor dining opportunities.

We're not much into deserts, so I'll pass. Enjoy the island.